Format external Hard Drive as a boot drive

RISC OS user 22:16 28 Jan 16
Answered

I wish to format an external Hard Drive for Windows 10 and then install the Drive into my Laptop and load Windows 10 from the DVD I created from the ISO file. My reason for doing this is to get a completely clean install, as every other time I have tried I end up with a poorly function Windows 10 PC and some of the old information such as Wall Paper, Network setting, Home Group etcetera are still set up in the New "clean" installation which I believe are causing the very slow Boot up along with other problems. Each time in the past I have agreed to "keep nothing" but that does not seem to work!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:07 28 Jan 16

plug into another PC using a usb caddy

the drive will appear in disk management either right click and select format (do not do a quick format) or you could use command prompt (admin) and run diskpart to remove all partitions and make just one partition on the drive before formatting.

refit in the laptop

ensure DVD is set as first boot device

insert DVD and and press any key to boot from he windows iso (DVD must be bootable made using windows media creation tool for w 10).

follow the prompts to install windows (you cannot install windows onto the drive while it is in the us caddy on the other PC).

rdave13 00:10 29 Jan 16

Does the laptop have UEFI or Bios? If the laptop has Win 8.1 then possibly you have UEFI and your hard drive is GPT. Have a read here for info .

To check if the original drive is GPT not MBR partition table (I've forgotten if you can right click the Start icon in 8 and get to Disk Management straight away), click on Control Panel, Admin Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management on the left. Usually if GPT you might see four or five partitions. In the lower pane right click the first box showing Disk 0 and showing Basic, amount of GB and online. Select properties only. In the box that opens select the Volumes tab. That will sow if it has a GUID partition table or not. GPT.

If it is a GPT disk and your external drive is MBR then it is worth while converting the external to GPT before installing Win 10. click here , but you might find it easier using third party software to do it. Just be sure of your drives when converting so be wary.

1]: [click here 2]: [click here

rdave13 00:43 29 Jan 16

As for your 'settings' if you use your same email address and password during the installation then Microsoft downloads the info they have on you from the 'cloud' for ease of use. As you've already tried Win 10 on this machine it's already verified so no need to input a key. Have a look here.

As Win 10 changes relatively fast today it's just a guide and you might have subtle changes on how to install with a local admin account. Scroll down to Create local account while installing Windows 10 for a guide but worth reading through. Make sure the local account is an administrative one.

robin_x 01:55 29 Jan 16

Is it the same machine and hard drive as your other thread?

If it's an old W7 machine, it's unlikely to be UEFI/GPT

If the other thread's advice didn't work or was difficult to follow, it is better to say so.

=-=-=-=

Minitool Partition Wizard Free has a Drive Wipe function, which may be slightly easier, if the drive is connected via USB on a working machine.

Run MiniTool PW, click on the Hard Drive Disk x and select Drive Wipe. Then Apply.

It will take a while then appear as Unallocated.

For example

Put the Unallocated drive into the laptop Main Drive slot, boot from the W10 DVD and Install.

It should Install to Unallocated without creating or formatting any partition (Cick on Unallocated when it is displayed to Select it, then Next / Continue)

robin_x 01:57 29 Jan 16

Sorry- Wipe Disk, not Drive Wipe.

RISC OS user 15:02 29 Jan 16

Thanks for all the replies, I am working on it, will report back with results when done!

RISC OS user 14:12 30 Jan 16

I have tried, without success, to install Windows 10 from the DVD as mentioned. I installed the newly formatted Hard Drive and ensured that the BIOS was set to Boot from the DVD first. All I received was a message stating that there was no Bootable media. I then tried a Windows 8.1 Genuine disc and this did not boot either, so have put the original SSD back which contains 8.1. What have I done wrong, should I have copied the "System" partition on to the newly formatted drive? I have attached 2 screen shots. Disk 0 is the newly formatted drive labelled G in the screen shot. click here

href

RISC OS user 14:17 30 Jan 16

click here appears to be wrong so the above is the second screen shot. I also forgot to mention that the DVD drive clicked and did its thing as if I was going to boot.

Something

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:40 30 Jan 16
Answer

Have a read here its for a Dell but other machines are similar

click here

RISC OS user 17:27 30 Jan 16

Sorry but I am unable to find any reference to The Boot modes mentioned all I can find is Order of Boot, and I have set the DVD to be the first. Perhaps the DVD does not have a complete boot sequence, I just burned it using the Microsoft Application that comes with the Windows 10 OS. Were my screen shots informative?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017