format ext hd

yorkieman 13:36 09 Jun 09

can anyone help? i need to format my pc hd so i bought a new hd and caddie to transfer my files i need to keep mostly music videos and photos but when i connected my ext hd by usb to format before i could use it windows picked it up but i cannot see it in my computer, i went into admin tools/ computer management clicked on disk managment but all its showing is cd rom 0 dvd(d)no media what am i doing wrong?any help please

xania 13:46 09 Jun 09

Sometimes external devices appear in a separate section of My Computer depending on the view you are using. Have you checked all the obvius entries in my computer, especially external devices?

yorkieman 13:58 09 Jun 09

yes theres only my c drive and dvd drive showing

Kevscar1 14:05 09 Jun 09

Did you have it connected when you booted the computer. If so disconnect re-boot then plug it in and see if Windows finds it.

yorkieman 14:49 09 Jun 09

as i said in my original post windows has picked it up it says it is ready for use but i need to format it first but i "cannot" find it in my computer to format it or in disk managment so how do i format it to the ntfs system

yorkieman 17:57 09 Jun 09

ok looks like a full stop with this one so how about if i change the hard drives put the new one in my comp and put my operating system on it and use the old hard drive in the comp as a back up with all my files on it? as you can see i am desperate i need to format my c drive to get rid of a virus that nothing will shift it

Kevscar1 18:23 09 Jun 09

I got a feeling your problem maybe with the computer. I have 2 extrenal hard drives. Both I just plugged into the USB ports, niether had to be formatted.

You may need an anti-virus program to clean your machine in case it's the virus causing the problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:56 09 Jun 09

Assuming separate HDD and caddy -
but you haven't said whether SATA or IDE?

If PC picks up usb device added but no drive in disk management then first check

If IDE then Drive jumper must be set as MASTER

check drive is connected correctly in caddy recheck in disk management.

yorkieman 19:42 09 Jun 09

i have 5 ide external hard drives and two sata ext drives i will check caddie and report back

yorkieman 19:55 09 Jun 09

sorry i should have said the ext hd i am trying to intall is a sata drive

bremner 20:02 09 Jun 09

The computer is only "seeing" the USB caddy and not the hard drive within it.

This suggests, as Fruitbat has said" a bad connection or alternatively a defective hard drive. Can you try another HDD in the caddy or connect the hard drive internally in a computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac