Format Drive C

IanBoynton 22:53 19 Mar 03

My hard drive freezes on regularly which means I have to switch off and on again which is so annoying. An advisor in a shop today told me to try formating the hard disc and reinstalling windows again. My operating system is Windows 95. How do I format Drive C and is it straight forward to re-install again once I have done this?

Epirb406 22:58 19 Mar 03

others will tell you more and with more expertise.

But NO it is not straightforward!

However, it is possible with care,

good luck, epirb

User-312386 23:00 19 Mar 03

Hi there

It may be the sytem just needs a good clean out and a defrag

When was the last time you carried out a scan disc and defrag?

woodchip 23:09 19 Mar 03

If you have A full win95 CD. you will also need the product key off the manual. Then download a Win98 startup disc from click here It's the top one in the list you then load that onto a floppy disc and start computer with it. Leave until it gets to A:\> then typ Format C: and press enter Y for yes. After it as done and gets to the bottom it will ask for a label just press enter, it will come back to A:\ restart your computer with the floppy disc, have your Win CD in the computer when it starts choose start with CDrom support. it will load a Ram drive as a temp Drive so that if your CDrom drive letter was D:\ it will be E:\ until you have loaded Windows. So assuming that is the case type at A:\> E: and press enter it should change letter to your CD drive you just then type setup and press enter and follow the instructions on screen have you CD number Key ready

IanBoynton 23:09 19 Mar 03

I've recently tried Defrag and Scandisk but neither have really helped. I got my computer from Time and they have a disc that put it back to the 'factory settings'. Tried this as well but this hasn't rectified it. The Adviser said to format drive C and then try the disc again to put it back to the factory settings, but don't know how to format the hard drive. The way the computer re-installs back to the factory setting is because hidden on the hard drive in a condensed version of how it was when I first took it out the box - but worried if I format the hard disc, will it also delete this hidden version of the programs when I bought the PC !

User-312386 23:11 19 Mar 03

i would not format HDD as you will lose all the CAB files and the "restore to factory disc " will not work

madboy33

AndySD 23:16 19 Mar 03

Strangely enough I wrote this out for a friend yesterday...

Download a 95 bootdisk from click here and put it on a floppy disk.

Make sure you have the drivers ready for your modem and graphics card and souncard.

Back up to floppys or cd all your important information as you will lose it if you dont.

make sure you have the details or cd to reconnect to the internet.

FORMAT your hard drive
-----------------------

Insert the boot disk (floppy)you created and start the PC

Choose Without CD-ROM support

When you boot to an A:\> prompt
Type

FORMAT C:

It will look like A:\>FORMAT C: (there is a space between FORMAT and C )

now press [ENTER]

You will get a message saying "WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK DRIVE C: WILL BE LOST. Proceed with Format (Y/N)?". Press the Y key and then press [ENTER]

Press [ENTER] again when prompted for Volume Label (you dont need a label name)

Installing Windows 95
----------------------

Leave your boot disk inserted in your floppy disk drive
Insert the Windows 95CD in your CD-ROM drive
Tap CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart the computer
Choose WITH CD-ROM support
At the prompt A:\> type in
D:
and press [ENTER]

Type SETUP It will look like D:\>SETUP and press [ENTER]

The Windows 95 setup will start

(if it doesnt then at the prompt which will now be

D:\>

type in

E:

and press [ENTER]

Type SETUP It will look like E:\>SETUP and press [ENTER])

It will either ask you for the drivers or you will need to install them now.

AndySD 23:18 19 Mar 03

Oops didnt see the Restore Disk..too slow

Ignore my posting.

Jaga58 23:22 19 Mar 03

If you know the made the hard disc, you can visit their web site and download a tool to check the disc for any faults

IanBoynton 23:32 19 Mar 03

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has responded. Its very much appreciated. Thank you. Ian

User-312386 23:37 19 Mar 03

when you restore to factory and after windows has restarted you find all the programmes on the CD that came with it

madboy33

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…