format drive

john1000 21:56 21 Jun 03

i am currently running windows 2000 pro on a ntfs file system.i want to go back to windows 98 fat 32 the problem is i am having great problems formatting my hard drive i have tryed everything when i get the ms dos command prompt and type format c: it is not reconised help much apprecited

VoG® 22:01 21 Jun 03

Try this click here

You may need to download a boot disk - try click here

recap 22:02 21 Jun 03

click here this may help?

woodchip 22:04 21 Jun 03

Converting from NTFS to FAT32 in Win2K or WinXP:

By George Walker

If you wish to change your hard drive format on a partition or logical drive where the operating system is installed and you use Power Quest's Partition Magic, you will receive an error message #1681 during the process. The Process will hang up but "Control C" will allow you to recover, without making any changes.

To effect a smooth conversion go to PowerQuest's Master Error List and print the Solution to Error 1681. Follow their instructions by turning off System Restore; and running the Compact Command " COMPACT /U /S /A /I /F *.* " from the Command Prompt (START-Programs-Accessories-Command Prompt ) followed by "CD/" to change to the root directory on the partition or logical drive that you want to convert ( Spaces in this command are required). Now run PM.. With this preparation Partition Magic will do the job.
click here
156560 - Free Space Required to Convert FAT to NTFS

john1000 22:27 21 Jun 03

i am putting a windows 98 boot disk in a drive switching on booting from floppy selecting 2 without cd rom command promp format c: then i get c is not a drive can you use this disk to format windows 2000 pro ntfs or do i need a disk like xp

woodchip 22:28 21 Jun 03

You cannot remove ntfs that easy that's why I did a search for the above

VoG® 22:31 21 Jun 03

You may need this lot click here

the kopite 22:59 21 Jun 03

you can format win 200k with a 98 boot floppy I have just done it and returned my file system to fat32 but I had to fdisk first then format c no /s switch hope this helps the notorious kopite

john1000 23:13 21 Jun 03

thanks kopite i will try it

john1000 09:33 22 Jun 03

succesfully removed non dos partion(ntfs)with fdisk reinstalled 98 on fat 32 thanks kopite your a star!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…