Format and Clean Install XP

BGS 21:15 10 Nov 03

I have a 2 year old Packard Bell IMEDIA 4505 PC which came with MS Windows ME pre-installed.
About a year ago i purchaced XP Home Upgrade Edition and installed this.
Now i wish to format my HD and clean install XP.
On doing some research on the Microsoft site it tells me to have my ME CD ready as part of the installation process. As i do not have a ME CD and have never had one.How can i get round this?
I would be gratefull for any feedback.
Cheers
BGS

Daedrus 21:22 10 Nov 03

Do you have a CD from the PC manufacturer handy? Check on there to see if it has the installation files. Unfortunately this is an area where PC manufacturers have failed. Many times you do not have the installation files readily available to you because they are compacted into an image file for the system. Technically you can borrow someone else's ME CD and use that as your proof. You have a legal right to use the software, the license is separate from the actual software so it doesn't matter if you are using their cd or yours.

BGS 18:26 11 Nov 03

Thanks for the answer.
I dont have a CD but i do have a PB Recovery Disk (Red Floppy) which came with the system.
According to the PB manual this can be used to return the System to its original factory state

I don't think you are going to need th ME CD this time around, as you already have XP on the system just put in the XP cd and follow the instructions to do a clean re-installation. It will accept that its the same OS that you are installing.

Legolas 18:43 11 Nov 03

Maybe XP is different but I know that if I reformat and install my ME upgrade I always have to put in my 98se disk before I can install my ME upgrade.

OneSirKnight 19:54 11 Nov 03

to do an upgrade from ME you will need the serial number of your version of ME,OR Maybe a friend who has an original me installation cd,you can use that serial number.you will be asked for it when it comes to activation.

the thing is here is that XP is already installed so if you just put in the XP cd, dont boot and format the drive first just switch on the machine as normal then put in the XP cd it will ask you what you want to do. the option should be there to do a clean installation, choose that and it should go about its business by itself having Told itself that windows was already installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…