Format CD with Windows XP

meater 20:05 27 Jul 06

Hi There,
Can anybody tell me how I can format a CD-RW when using Windows XP, so I can use it like a floppy disk. I cannot seem to find out how to do it, without using another added program. Is it possible with the basic Windows XP.
I would appreciate any help with this problem.

Meater

LinH 20:25 27 Jul 06

Shop around for a copy of Nero 6 (with updates), it's very cheap and will do all that you need as regards formatting, recording etc.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:26 27 Jul 06

"To erase files from a CD

Open My Computer.

Double-click the CD recording drive.

Windows displays the files and folders located on the CD.

Under CD Writing Tasks, click Erase this CD-RW.

Windows displays the CD Writing Wizard.

Follow the instructions in the wizard to delete the files on the CD-RW.

Notes

To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.

Erasing the CD deletes all the files on the CD; you cannot select individual files to delete.

Not all CDs are erasable. If the CD you are using is not erasable, for example, a CD-R, then this feature is not available."

alan227 20:31 27 Jul 06

meater.
windows has built-in burning capability, but not cdrw formatting capability.
To do that you will need seperate software.

SantasLittleHelper 20:31 27 Jul 06

Hi, I am not sure if it is possible to format a CD RW using windows. However it should not be necessary to do this, you can just delete programs in explorer to give you a blank disk.

meater 22:31 27 Jul 06

Hi there,
Thanks for your replies regarding Formatting a CD with Windows XP, but what I really want to do is to make a Backup onto a CD or DVD of all the files on my Computer, and I thought that if you use a CD-RW, you have to Format it so you can use it like a Floppy Disk. I want to Re-install Windows XP Pro. which means I have to format the Hard Drive.
Can you tell me the best way to do this, as I don't think this is possible without obtaining a separate program to do the Formatting.
BFN

Meater

SantasLittleHelper 16:08 28 Jul 06

Hi, it is not necessary to use a CD-RW to back up, any CD or DVD will do. The easiest way to back up your personal files is to go to Exlorer, go to "File" then select "New",make a folder on your hard drive called "Backup". Copy all the files you want to back up to this folder, when you are happy that you have everything you want, just copy the folder to CD or DVD. The facility to format the hard drive is on the Windows CD, you will see the option when you re-install. If you would rather format from a floppy follow this link to download and make a bootable floppy disk click here if you need any more help post back.

Pineman100 16:28 28 Jul 06

I wouldn't use a CD-RW for your backing up. They are notoriously temperamental. CD-R's are so cheap it's not worth trying to save a few pence by trying to delete and rewrite an -RW. Just use CD-R's.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos