format camera memory

nobbie 10:17 01 Sep 05

hi all, i have a praktica DCZ 3.5 digital camera, which i connect to my computer via USB port, everythings o.k, until i insert my new memory into the camera, it says on the camera that the new memory is not formatted, plus my camera is no longer recognised on my puter,i have looked in the guide supplied with the camera , but cannot find how to format the memory card, SO does anyone know how to do this. thanks

wobblymike 10:21 01 Sep 05

The only thing I can offer is that it will be somewhere in the camera menu - I have formatted many cards in my camera so you will be able to as well it's just a case of persevering I'm afraid.

dave_and_confused 10:24 01 Sep 05

...which does seem to lack this instruction.

There is a FREEPHONE dedicated customer care line to help you out with any installation or general use question. You can call them on 0800 043 9070 (Mon - Fri 8:30 to 5:30 pm).

Is there nothing in the menus about Format?

nobbie 10:24 01 Sep 05

it doesn't seem to let me into the menu, it just says that the memory is not formatted, thats it.

Stuartli 10:38 01 Sep 05

Some brief help here as well:

click here

nobbie 10:43 01 Sep 05

but i have already checked this site out with no joy.

Pidder 18:50 01 Sep 05

Usual advice is NOT to format using the PC.With my HP camera the format option is with the delete options.

jack 19:45 01 Sep 05

If the Practika has not a format function, which I find difficult to understand, a possible way out is find a friend who has a digital camera [taking the same card as yours] with a format function and format it there.
In the main most cameras use the same format system which is EXIF- which is JPEG with extra bells and whistles on.

Bagsey 20:20 01 Sep 05

I dont have your model but opperations within makes dont vary much. So I suggest.
Go to any setting except PC Cam or Audio mode
Press Menu
Press the right button to select the Format menu.
Press the down button to select yes.
Press the Shift button . The card is formatted and a waiting message appears on screen. When the card is formatted,you are returned to the LCD oreview Screem.
Well thats what I do with my Praktica.
I hope that helps.

nobbie 14:39 02 Sep 05

just found out that the camera (supprizingly) only supports up to 128mb, and i'm trying to format a 512mb ..bummer,
thanks for all your suggestions, unless anyone can see a way around this.:-(

Bagsey 15:20 02 Sep 05

Where did you find that info. about card size limitation to 128mb. I find that hard to believe as I started with my camera having only a 32mb card and usually use it with a 128 mb card. A few minutes ago I put in a 512 card and it accepted it straight away. So no limitation there. I am beginning to think that you could have a bad card, which is not unheard of. Try another card or get someone who can format your 512 card in their camera to try to do it for you. Why not try to get some advice from a camera shop or take that card back to where you got it.
I have had the odd bad card but I must admit that it is rare. Still my cheepo Praktica accepts a 512 card so?????? why not yours??? Best of luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now