Format C: to install Win 2000 Pro

mast 18:20 27 Sep 04

Hi

any help greatly appreciated. I have an older pC that my son uses, it is currently running ME. I would like to update this to Win 2000, it is not powerful enough (RAM etc) to go to XP. When I try to install 2000, I get error messages regarding missing files, corrupted files etc. I think the easiest way is to start from scratch and format C. When I try to do this I get a message regarding "cannot format C: windows is using it"

Please help!!

Thanks
MaSt

Diodorus Siculus 18:25 27 Sep 04

Boot with the Win2k CD if you can adn follow the prompts.

If you cannot, then boot with a floppy from, for example, click here and try the format command.

It sounds as if you are trying to format from within windows?

mast 18:32 27 Sep 04

Thanks, have downloaded what I believe to be the appropriate bootdisk image, and will try it now.

Cheers MaSt

mast 18:49 27 Sep 04

Have tried the bootdisk without success. It seems I have a partially loaded version of Win 2000 on my PC as well. When I used the bootdisk it asked if I wanted to boot into Windows (ME) or Windows 2000.

Windows 2000 did not work, something about step 1 in the INF is not valid?

igr 20:00 27 Sep 04

Download a DOS version and copy it to a floppy. Then restart and enter the bios to change the boot sequence to start with the floppy. This should give you an a> prompt. Type in format c: , then revert back to bios to change boot to c: and load the W2K disc and follow screen prompts.

Alternatively, in BIOS change the boot sequence to start with cd/rom. Boot W2K and select unpartition, then proceed with a format. After format load W2K following screen prompts (worked for me and got rid of 2 partial loaded o/s's)

igr 20:01 27 Sep 04

Forgot to mention - you have copied all your essential files etc? to cd

mast 20:01 03 Oct 04

igr, thanks very much for your response it appears to be exactly what I want to do.

Yes I have copied all the files I require - thanks.

Unfortunately I am not as DOS or PC literate as yourself. Can you please provide a little more deatil regards:
- obtaining a DOS version of the bootdisk
- accessing the BIOS and changing the boot sequence to start with floppy.

If you can tell me this I will then be able to reverse the action to start with C: prompt.

Many thanks
Martin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…