Format C Drive

ABI2GAIL 18:40 30 Sep 05

Im new to all this and I need to format my C drive so that I can install XP. However, when I put in the setup floppy and click on Fdisk I am not sure what number to click on. If I click something I shouldnt, will it mess everything up?

Graham ® 19:08 30 Sep 05

Are you re-installing XP, or is this an upgrade?

woodchip 19:15 30 Sep 05

You do not use Fdisk to format a Drive You use Format C: But you should only need to put the XP disc in and run setup it will install over 98 or ME

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:36 30 Sep 05

click here
click here
click here
click here

You can select the option to format the drive from the install process.

GaT7 19:41 30 Sep 05

I think what ABI2GAIL means is that he/she is using fdisk to first partition the drive, like we do while installing earlier Windows versions.

ABI2GAIL, there's is no need to do this with a Windows XP install, & no floppy required either.

Just set in BIOS to boot first from the CD-rom. Place your WinXP install disk in the CD-rom drive & follow the process. Follow this guide to setup WinXP click here.

If you have any problems, just post them here. G

ABI2GAIL 20:32 30 Sep 05

I have windows 98 se loaded and have nothin else on there and try and connect to the internet which is so slow so thought xp might do the trick!but i dont reall know

Strawballs 20:35 30 Sep 05

If your machine is quite old then XP will slow it down even more because it is more resorce hungry than 98SE

ABI2GAIL 20:37 30 Sep 05

ok, thanks for that, however as 98 it is so slow i cant even use it, but as i am told it should be ok for use on the net, so really i want to take everything off and start again, but am unsure how to do it

VoG II 20:40 30 Sep 05

click here

click here?

I would try a reformat and install of Windows 98 as above first. As stated earlier, if it is an oldish PC then XP may run pretty slowly.

woodchip 21:07 30 Sep 05

you may have a virus

ABI2GAIL 21:36 30 Sep 05

Thanks VOF pc tech uide tutorials are brill and easy to follow.x Hopefully done it now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…