Format C:/

Mr Confused 12:49 02 Oct 04

It's been a while since I last had to do this and I've kind of forgotten now.

I basically want to delete everything on the c:/ (except the drivers) and then re install windows. What's the best way of doing this??

Diodorus Siculus 12:52 02 Oct 04

How do you mean "except the drivers"?

You will have to either format (which loses everything) or simply use add / remove programs to remove other stuff.

If you want a clean install, try getting a boot disk from click here and boot with it -

then type

format c:

that will lose everything.

What OS are you going to use?

Diemmess 12:52 02 Oct 04

"Save the drivers?" No, not if you Format.

Format C: - clears everything - no exceptions.

Rayuk 12:52 02 Oct 04

Do you mean system files
format C:/ s

Noelg23 13:06 02 Oct 04

so lets get this want to delete everything from Windows bar the drivers and then reinstal Windows all over again? have you misplaced the drivers CDs? cos you wont be able to keep the drivers unless you back them up to CD...

Mr Confused 13:06 02 Oct 04

The last time I formatted the c: I seem to remember formatting everything but told not to delete the drivers otherwise the CD drive wouldn't work to re-install Windows...

holly polly 13:16 02 Oct 04

Basically the format command is dependant on which op system you are intending to use.
Win xp is a straight forward simple affair of changing the 1st boot device in bios (hit del on boot up -though some mobos differ if in doubt consult your manual)pop in the xp cd and boot up .
xp will then goto the installation screen choose format all drive(assuming you do not require any partitions) choose the full format ntfs version -BUT BEWARE BACK UP FIRST AS ALL DATA ON C DRIVE WILL BE LOST -xp will then format and then reinstall windows -easy peasy belive me .

Other versions win 98/me etc are done off a boot up disk using f/disk more complicated but not impossible to do -post back and let us know and then will take you through the process -have fun -----regards-Hol Pol....

Noelg23 13:16 02 Oct 04

where did you hear that MR Confused? cos thats not true...I have done many re-installs of Windows and also formatting and the CD-Drive works. so no thats wrong...

holly polly 13:18 02 Oct 04

Er sorry 1st boot device is cd rom -Hol pol...

OwenLotts 13:19 02 Oct 04

"otherwise the CD drive wouldn't work to re-install Windows"

The CD Drivers will be on your Boot Floppy.

Create a Boot Floppy (or 2 for safety) and then format the drive (there is no option to leave drivers on the hard drive). The Boot Floppy will install the CD ROM drivers as long as you choose WITH CD ROM Support from the Boot Floppy menu.

OwenLotts 13:21 02 Oct 04

click here

Boot Floppy also know as a Start Up Disk

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…