Kuya 12:01 09 Jul 05

How do you format a hard drive?
Can it be done even if I can't boot into the operating system?
Once the drive is formated, how do you get things up and running again?

Diodorus Siculus 13:02 09 Jul 05

What is your operating system? - Install, Reinstall, Upgrade, Repair Windows XP, 98, ME, NT, 2000, 2003, 3.1 and MSDOS
click here

Kuya 13:33 09 Jul 05

Original system was Win 98. Updated to Win Me via upgrade disc.

pj123 14:09 09 Jul 05

Download a Windows 98SE bootdisk from click here

Set your BIOS to boot from floppy 1st. Use the bootdisk to format your C: drive.

Before you do anything though, make sure you have all the install CDs available. eg. sound, graphics, modem, motherboard etc., and all your programme CDs. Also do a backup of all your data/files you want to keep.

Kuya 16:35 09 Jul 05

OK. Assuming this works - the guys at PC world gave up! How actually do you format the hard drive?

mattyc_92 16:39 09 Jul 05

Boot from the floppy disk and select "start with CDROM support"

Now, type in:

format c:

and press "y" to confirm

Now type in

and then setup.exe

pj123 16:59 09 Jul 05

What! Doesn't say much for the Guys at PC World.

As, mattyc_92 says. Just boot from the floppy disk and when you get to the A: prmompt type in "format c:" (without the quotes) and press enter. Press y to confirm and once the format has finished switch off. Now restart your computer (still with the floppy disk in) and when you get to the A: prompt put your Windows CD in and type in "D:" and press enter (or whatever your CD drive is) again without the quotes and then type in "setup" and press enter.

Kuya 17:00 09 Jul 05

Thanks for that. Things are a little clearer now. Why CD Rom suport and why D?

Kuya 17:24 09 Jul 05

Cheers! I understand what you are saying now. As soon as I get some free time I'll give it a go.

howard60 18:34 09 Jul 05

if you format you will lose everything on your hard disk.

Kuya 17:15 10 Jul 05

Yes. I understand that. However,Windows will not load anyway, so I can't access any imformation from my hard drive. My computer will not go past the Dos screens from startup and says that this is not the correct operating disc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…