Forgotten Administrator Password

R.C.M. 12:48 05 May 06

As sole owner and user of my computer I have had little need to use the Administrators Password - however I'm now trying to program my computer to do scheduled tasks which requires Admin Password. I entered what I thought it was but its wrong. I tried others and its clear I've forgotten it.

My question is how do I find the location of secret question/Hint to prompt my memory, [Windows XP home SP2]

Hope this all makes sense - I would appreciate any advice, thanks

Genius1 12:56 05 May 06

I presume you didn't create any password reset discs?

R.C.M. 13:12 05 May 06

Hi Genius - to be truthful I've never heard of password reset disc let alone create one.

ventanas 14:00 05 May 06

Password reset disc click here

But, this is generally for user passwords, and by default XP Home has a blank admin password, and the Administrator account is barred from logging on. You simply cannot use it. You need XP Pro I'm afraid. Unless you use Safe Mode click here

ventanas 14:20 05 May 06

Your problem may be with your own user account. If that does not have a password you cannot run scheduled tasks. If you do not wish to create a password for your user account, you can always create another one, with a password, and use that for scheduled tasks.

R.C.M. 14:33 05 May 06

I followed your suggestion but It wanted my old password before I could change it and that's my problem.

What is the difference between Admi account and user account?

Sorry for bieng so stupid - will get a hang of this sometime.

R.C.M. 14:52 05 May 06

Hi ventanas

If I made another account [guest] could I run scheduled tasks from there? Or will I still require my admin password?

ventanas 15:06 05 May 06

You don't have an admin password, all you need is a user account with a password. You can do this with your existing aacount. The only difference will be when you start up, you will have to type it in at the welcome screen.

How you do it in Home I'm not sure. I have XP Pro machines on a Domain, and that's totally different. If you go to Control Panel\User Accounts I think there is an option to create a password for your existing account in there.

Once you have this you can run scheduled tasks, but will also have the small nuisance of having to type it in each time you start Windows, so don't forget it. Make sure you create a reset disc as well.

R.C.M. 15:18 05 May 06

I did as you suggested but it still asks for the password that I've forgotten - I left that section blank and put a new password in the new section - I was told I can't change the password.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:14 05 May 06

You should not need a password. All you need to do is hit 'enter' when prompted for the password on a home admin account. Do not type anything in the box.

G

ventanas 16:19 05 May 06

G,true, for things like Recovery Console, but not for scheduled Tasks. Task Scheduler uses Run as capability, which is locked out of non-password protected user accounts. It's to prevent unauthorised access to scheduled tasks. Use by hackers etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…