Forgot password.

isititis 15:10 24 Feb 10

Hello all,
How can a password be reset?
My friend's daughter has a Windows 7 laptop. For some reason she decided to change the password, which she has now been forgotten. The lappy boots ok, but there is no progress because of the rejection of any password that is entered. I am told that there is no username required, just a password. There are no discs available.
Thank you in advance.

Technotiger 15:13 24 Feb 10

Try running click here (the stand-alone English version) on the laptop, then look under secrets in the left-hand column, your daughter might then see her password(s).

Sea Urchin 15:18 24 Feb 10

Five options to look at:

click here

DieSse 15:56 24 Feb 10

I've always understood that the forum rules do not allow advice on how to get around passwords, for pretty obvious reasons.

I quote

"Do not ask other forum members to provide you with help or information that will enable you to illegally obtain copyright protected material, or to circumvent product registration or activation requirements, or to bypass a computer’s password protection."

Sea Urchin 16:12 24 Feb 10

It's a tricky point - there is possibly a clue in your quote - "that will enable you to illegally obtain copyright protected material" etc. For genuine forgetfulness it doesn't appear to be a problem - but I grant you that forum members can't easily make a judgement regarding the legality of purpose from the text of a question.

There are over 70 threads on this forum about this topic, and many solutions have been suggested. The programs I pointed to in my link are all perfectly legal programs - and easily available by Googling.

These on the other hand don't look quite so innocent, and yet they are advertised here on the PCA site.

click here

I think I will post to FE and get a ruling on this overall point.

isititis 16:13 24 Feb 10

FTAO Technotiger and Sea Urchin. Problem solved. Owner tells me she ran System Restore in safe mode. From there she somehow was able to reset the password. I didn't question her, but is that possible?

Sea Urchin 16:27 24 Feb 10

Don't know how she got into safe mode without the password?

Technotiger 16:29 24 Feb 10

Yes it is possible in Safe Mode.

isititis 16:46 24 Feb 10

Having read the Forum Rules, I can't see where I could possibly be in breach of those rules. I used the term FTAO after a possible solution was sugested and not before. Regarding the password issue. I wasn't seeking to gain any information as to how to use a password illegally, but to help a friends daughter. If there is any breach of PCA rules then I apologise.

Forum Editor 00:00 25 Feb 10

and DieSse is quite right to draw attention to the forum rule about asking for help with this problem. It will be obvious why I made the rule in the first place, although I freely acknowledge that there are rare occasions when it's necessary for someone to circumvent a password protection.

That said, I am always surprised when someone finds it impossible to remember a password that they set themselves - most people could probably get the right password within a few attempts.

This problem seems to have been resolved now, so it seems pointless to delete the thread. The rule about password circumvention remains in force, however, and perhaps everyone will bear it in mind for the future.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos