Forgot admin password, no other admins on laptop!

robzwolf 11:56 25 Oct 10

stupid me!

i read somewhere about using 'control userpasswords2', and i also read in one of the pca magasines that it is good practice to user a standard user instead of an admin account for your everyday tasks. that's fine. i opened the control userpasswords2 and changed all the users' group (it is solely my computer) except the administrator to users. however, now I want to do some tasks that require administrator priveleges. i've forgotten the password to get on the administrator account! how can I get back in? i'm on xp home, i set up press the ctrl+alt+delete on the startup and it has the type in username and password box thing (like from win 2000 or ME)

VoG II 11:58 25 Oct 10

Try this click here

robzwolf 12:16 25 Oct 10

unfortunately i don't have a cd drive (it's a netbook) and there is NO WAY that i am going to spend £30 just on recovering my password! is there anyway I could put the xp recovery disc in another computer and use it as a network drive? also how do I get into the bios

ventanas 12:29 25 Oct 10

Just a minute this is XP Home.
It's been a while since I used this, but I seem to remember that the admin password is blank and that the account can only be used for the Recovery Consol. You cannot log in with it.
Unless you changed it from blank sometime in the past, there is no password.

birdface 12:29 25 Oct 10

Try safe mode and see if you can get in clicking on the administrator account.

birdface 14:39 25 Oct 10

Not sure if this can be of any use to you.

click here

Just wondering if you could use a memory stick but probably not.

birdface 14:44 25 Oct 10

I dont suppose removing the CMOSS Battery would do the trick.Or is that a different password that it uses.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:51 25 Oct 10

Put XP on a USB stick click here

1- boot to the windows xp USB ,

2- press enter to start setup ,

3- press F8 for the license agreement ,

4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so ,

5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then

press shift F10 to open a command prompt.

6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP

7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again. ,

8- let the in place upgrade finish.

The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall the programs like in a parallel install.

robzwolf 18:03 25 Oct 10

1. How do I boot to the USB stick?
2. How big does the USB stick need to be to fit Windows on it?

robin_x 13:26 07 Feb 11

I think Kon and another util are the first boot page of Hiren's boot CD

click here

robin_x 13:27 07 Feb 11

(Use uunetbootin with Hiren's iso for the USB)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now