Forgive me - simply Q re Word 2002 'norm' template

The Potter 20:35 17 Nov 03

Hi, I feel so braindead. I've gone back to work after a week on hols and my computer is now on XP and Word 2003 (previously Win 98/Word 97). Trouble is all my Word docs are formatted to Times New Roman and I need them to be Ariel as standard. Please can someone remind me how to do this, I know it's simple but can't remember how to other than doing it through styles.

Many thanks

BarryKeith 21:52 17 Nov 03

t all, then change font to whatever you desire.

BarryKeith 21:54 17 Nov 03

Not sure what went wrong there, should have read: Select all, then change font to whatever you desire.

The Potter 23:07 17 Nov 03

Guess I didn't explain my self clearly! In the good ol' days you could somehow change normal.doc so it automatically started with the font you wanted. I still remember the ol' 'ctrl A' trick to select all and then change the font to what you wanted. But I know you can make Word so every time it opens, it opens with the font style of your choice - ie. Ariel, not TNR!!!!

Maybe I'm more asleep then I realise .........

VoG II 23:18 17 Nov 03

Do a search for normal.dot. You'll have to enable searching for hidden files and folders to find it. Double click it and it should open in Word. Then CTRL+A to select all, change to Times New Roman and save.

VoG II 23:23 17 Nov 03

I meant change to Arial of course!

soy 23:31 17 Nov 03

Open Word, and go to: FORMAT> FONT

You can now make changes to the Font settings. Make sure you click on 'Defualt...' button to save your font changes.

The Potter 00:24 18 Nov 03

Hi all. I searched for all - inc hidden files and couldn't find normal.doc. What soy says seems to make sense, as at the time I didn't want to save the word doc, I wanted to save the default.

It seems unfiar to leave now but I'm going to do as soy says and get back later. In real time it's time for bed (for me right now - 0.28). Let me experiment with all that you've said in work hours, and get back to you when I can. Please know that you all are/have been superstars.

Many, many thanks. Back 24/7

TP

VoG II 06:36 18 Nov 03

Note: you are looking for normal.doT

Bren.ie 09:57 18 Nov 03

See if Normal.dot is located in Documents and Settings, Application data, Microsoft, Templates.

If it is go back to Word. Click File, New, Blank Document and also select template before clicking Ok.

Make any changes you need to the open document. E.g. font, margins etc. then save as "Normal 1"

Go back to Documents and Settings, Application data, Microsoft, Templates and delete "Normal" and change name of "Normal 1" to "Normal"

When you open ord the default page should have your new settings

Taff36 10:45 18 Nov 03

Just arrived. You`re nearly all there. The simplest solution (For Word 97 - 2002) is as Soy says - Open Word FORMAT > FONT make changes and click the DEFAULT button at the bottom left to make changes to the normal.DOT template.You can use this method for all the main format options in FILE > PAGE SETUP too.

The Normal.DOT template is located in c:\Documents and Settings\ [YOUR IDENTITY]Application data\ Microsoft\ Templates unless they changed it for Word 2003. You need to show all hidden files: START > CONTROL PANEL > FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW tab > ADVANCED and tick the appropriate box.

Having located normal.DOT and checked it`s location you must open word and then from there FILE > OPEN the template. (VoG - If you double click it from Explorer it opens a blank document based on the existing Normal template) Then as VoG suggests you can make wholesale changes to the normal.dot template - Margins, Fonts, Point Size, paragraph formatting etc. save the template and close and restart word to enforce them.

Hope this helps!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…