Forcing Host Company to Release Domain Name

Taff™ 14:42 PM 16 Nov 10

Is there a way to force a hosting company to release a .com domain name?

I have a prospective client who is suffering major problems with e-mail and website failures hosted by uk-cheapest.co.uk and they do not respond to requests on how to transfer away from them to another provider.

All attempts to find contact information, other than raising tickets through their online helpdesk have failed. (Thread on that subject in Consumer Forum)

I want to know if there is a way to force a hosting company to release the .com domain or is there an independent authority we can get assistance from?

Taff™ 15:42 PM 16 Nov 10

Thank you for that, makes interesting reading. I may have found a way of unlocking the domain to effect the transfer anyway so I`ll update later.

Taff™ 22:15 PM 16 Nov 10

A suggestion in Consumer Watch has enabled me to get access to the Domain Control Panel and effected the release of the Domain Name. A very firm request still had to be made so I`ll leave this thread open until the move has been completed before closing,

Forum Editor 23:15 PM 16 Nov 10

but for a .com name the process is involved and expensive, as fourm member has pointed out. If you have access to a control panel you should be able to retag the name to the new host yourself.

Taff™ 11:49 AM 23 Nov 10

All sorted now and thanks for the advice.

IClaudio 19:47 PM 27 Nov 10

...so how did you sort it?

ajm 05:30 AM 28 Nov 10

Simplest way is getting access to the domain control panel, changing the IPS TAG and/or Nameservers to a different Registrar/Host

Taff™ 11:33 AM 28 Nov 10

Which, thanks to ajm, is what I did. Although uk-cheapest were not the most co-operative and we had to pay to release the domain and waited 5 days before they told us we could have moved it immediately but hadn`t told us how.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites