Forced upgrade problem

Aristocatman 20:10 21 Feb 07

My trusty(?) Advent P4 2000 based PC has died the Intel motherboard has gone. My problem, probably quite a common one is I have a fairly new ATI AGP graphics card & a very new 250Gb IDE hard drive. I want to upgrade but are there any motherboards out there that will support old & new technology even say one that still has 2 old type IDE sockets as well as SATA. I dont mind replacing the graphics card but to replace the HDD as well.......!
Ideally the m/b would be socket 775 for dual core processor any chance or have I got to take a major wallet hit?

dan 11 20:21 21 Feb 07

There are plenty of socket 775 motherboards that will take and AGP card. All will take at least 2 IDE devices. and sata drives.

Prices from £20 upto £100+

woodchip 20:32 21 Feb 07

Have a look at these they should all suport your CPU pin count. Check the speck for what you want.
click here

Quiller. 20:37 21 Feb 07

through these click here= There is a lot with AGP in them.

Aristocatman 21:49 21 Feb 07

Thanks all the Gigabyte 81865GME-775 looks promising but does not appear to support dual core only P4 - if I read the spec right has 2 PATA & agp I assume my PC133 SDram won't be any good. I'm getting too old for this lark it used to be easy to spec a PC but now it's back to school for me!

ed-0 21:54 21 Feb 07

post what you want to put in, someone may be able to match up a few boards for you.

also click here

Aristocatman 22:28 21 Feb 07

Thanks again, the failure gives me the opportunity to upgrade but the timing is not good (is it ever?) I have a modern power supply Hiper 450 W, almost new 250Gb Western digital HDD, An ATI Radeon 6550 256Mb graphics card about 1year old & almost new gigabit network card, the rest is 5 years old 80 Gb hard drive intel P4 2.00Gb processor, CD writer & DVD player m/board is intel D845HV & 512 PC133 SDRam. Os is Windows XP Pro SP2.
I would like to upgrade to a dual core processor E6300 or similar I don't do gaming but do a lot of photos & some Movie so I need reasonable speed & plenty memory, disk space etc. If possible I would like to retain the HDD's so a Motherboard with 2 PATA sockets would be essential I could replace the graphics card if nothing has a suitable socket for AGP. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

woodchip 22:35 21 Feb 07

You would have to reload Windows on the old drive. Do you have a Full XP CD and key?

You may be able to do a Repair with the XP CD so you could get your files back but if not you would be better fitting another drive just for Windows to load to then you could fit the old drive as slave to get to your files

Totally-braindead 22:37 21 Feb 07

See if any of the Novatech bundles take your fancy click here they come with the processor fitted with the fan and heatsink and some RAM as well, they are good value. I don't think any have AGP though.

Aristocatman 22:42 21 Feb 07

Yes I've got the CD etc but the thought of reloading all the updates, SP's etc.... but first the hardware!

ed-0 22:53 21 Feb 07

I think this fits all your needs for £31. click here

core2duo]
agp8X
2 IDE ports
sata ports

Just the sdram, you'll not get a motherboard that will take that. Are you sure it's not ddr sdram? If it is, this motherboard will take it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…