Forced shutdown. Does it corrupt anything ?

mooly 07:17 20 Mar 09

Had to do a forced shutdown using the power button. I was shutting down normally (Vista) and in the final seconds the screen went green and purple with diagonal lines and that was it. The shutdown ( the spinning disc in Vista ) was all done in around two seconds before it locked up... usually takes a fair bit longer than that.
Questions I am not sure about.
1. When shutting down what is actually being written to the disc... if that was corrupted will it cause problems ?
2. Does the HDD suffer physically... I ran disc check and fix file errors and it was all reported as good and clean.
3. I can run a restore from a two day old image... is that worth doing ?

Any thoughts !

ened 07:34 20 Mar 09

I doubt you have done any physical damage to the disc.

Presumably you had closed all programmes prior to shut down.

I would do the restore just to be on the safe side but it should be alright.

mooly 07:57 20 Mar 09

They were all shut down yes. Think I will run the restore image though, always think the worst if not probably.
I often wonder what is actually being written to the HDD while the shutdown logo is on screen. Thanks

gazzaho 08:49 20 Mar 09

Sometimes it's the only way to reboot the computer, when a program crashes and locks it up solid for example. I would think it's going a little overboard to do a system restore on the chance something happened when you had to do the forced shutdown. I've had to do it countless number of times over the years and I've yet to notice any detrimental effects on reboot.

I've found windows recovers without problems in these instances, even automatically doing a disk scan if necessary on reboot, the likeliest adverse thing to happen in these circumstances is a loss of data from open apps, like loosing all updates to a word document you were working on at the time of the shutdown.

mooly 10:49 20 Mar 09

I just started to run the restore at around 8-50am. I'll remember all that for next time... thanks. Me being cautious... see I'm now being prompted to install IE8... that should be fun... thank goodness for Acronis.

DieSse 11:24 20 Mar 09

1. When shutting down what is actually being written to the disc... if that was corrupted will it cause problems ?

Maybe - but more often no. Depends entirely on exactly what was going on if anything.

2. Does the HDD suffer physically... I ran disc check and fix file errors and it was all reported as good and clean.

Definitely no - only files or the file structur could be corrupted.

3. I can run a restore from a two day old image... is that worth doing ?

Personally if the disk check reports OK, I wouldn't restore. Restores themselves don't always go quite to plan.

woodchip 14:24 20 Mar 09

What you need to ask is why did it not shut down as is should and could a Restore clear that fault

ened 14:33 20 Mar 09

My wife's Vista laptop (Dell)has an intermittent fault whereby it occasionally gets as far as 'Windows is logging off' and no further.

It took me a while but I have sussed out how to sort it out and it happens so rarely I haven't bothered investigating.

But I agree with you it would be nice to know why it is happening.

I do a system restore as a matter of course but last time didn't and there appear to be no ill effects. Also it didn't happen the next time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…