foppy drive

the kopite 06:59 07 Jul 03

Hi Guys This time its my floppy just will not work I have uninstalled and reinstalled changed the cable changed the floppy drive and it just will not work any ideas The Kopite

keith-236785 07:21 07 Jul 03

Have a look in device manager (right click on My computer and then click properties, choose device manager tab (hardware then device manager in XP).

in device manager, check Floppy disk controller & floppy disk drive for any faults.

could be the floppy controller (windows driver) that has become corrupt.

Which windows are you using?

if its 95 or 98 then click start/shutdown/shutdown to dos

then put a disk in the floppy drive and at the prompt A:> (if the prompt is C:> then type A: and press enter)

type dir

see if the floppy works in dos.

if it does then the windows floppy controller is corrupt, if not then it looks like a motherboard fault (are you sure the floppy cable is in the right way round) and connected to the terminal After the twist in the wire.

please post back to let us know

this is probably the well known problem of the missing "L".

Try reinstalling the "L" on the drive (see your thread title) and see what happens.

These drives do fail and if you have access to another to try I would do so. If a new one is needed it's less than £10 (£5.00 off the net) and at least you can rule out a hardware fault.

Sorry - just seen you have already tried that!

PA28 08:04 07 Jul 03

Did your floppy just stop working, or was there an event that triggered it? It sounds like a hardware fault, but I am always reluctant to go down this road initially as hardware, once working, tends to be very reliable these days. If there is no "event" as such, I would go for cable (check the power cable as well!), Windows or BIOS (ie, software) setting, and then hardware (drive or motherboard) - in that order.

the kopite 18:43 07 Jul 03

Hi Guys It was the ribon my mate had a spare we put thatb on and bingo one floppy drive thanks for your input guys the kopite

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5