font display problem with NetObjects Fusion 8

allright 19:34 02 Feb 07

Hi, We built our website with NetObjects Fusion 8 and regularly do updates. This week we decided to change the text from Arial bold to a slighter larger non-bold size of Arial. When we uploaded the text it was not at all how it appeared in the preview and looked terrible on both IE and Firefox. So we redid all the text back to how it was. There were some problems doing this, for some reason some boxes when highlighted wouldn't go back to bold, and so some of the text had to be copied and pasted from a box that would work. Anyway we've reuploaded it and on IE it looks fine. However on Firefox it's a complete mess - different fonts and sizes, photos in different positions, a disaster basically! Does anyone have any ideas at all as to what the problem is and how we can fix it? It all looks fine on the preview so it's very hard to know. Thanks very much in advance!

allright 19:35 02 Feb 07

Sorry, should have included the website address so that you can see: click here
Thanks again!

cycoze 20:42 02 Feb 07

By the looks of things Net Objects is specifying the text to be x-small, that might be the reason, IE and FF will have different ideas on what is x-small.

Might be better to specify font size in percentage or em or px, check the CSS for that.

allright 20:52 02 Feb 07

Thanks very much for replying. The options I'm given when typing text for font size are either 10pt, 12pt etc or +2, +1 etc. It seems to vary between text boxes from one system to the other, even on the same page. I don't really know about em or px - how would I go about this please?

cycoze 21:47 02 Feb 07

Backup your style sheet (CSS) first then open the original in and editor.

Line 10 of your CSS is...

P { font-family: Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif; font-size: x-small;}

Change the "x-small" to "13px" as below...

P { font-family: Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-serif,sans-serif; font-size: 13px;}

Save the file then try it on your site.

allright 21:50 02 Feb 07

Thanks, will give this a go in the morning.

cycoze 13:51 03 Feb 07

Not had a go yet allright?

allright 13:59 03 Feb 07

Unfortunately had to be out all morning, but hope to have made some progress in the next hour or so so will keep you posted - thanks again!

allright 15:18 03 Feb 07

The problem seems to be that with NetObjects you cannot edit their code, you can only add code. So, while the strings re the text appear when you view the code online, they don't appear in the code in the package itself (not that we can find anyway!). So we couldn't find a way to change this, but what we have done is change the text format setting from CSS to HTML, which would appear to have solved all the varying text inconsistencies viewed on Firefox, at our end anyway. However, is there a big downside to having done this do you know? Thanks again,

cycoze 16:04 03 Feb 07

The front page matches up perfectly now in IE7 and FF2 for me too.

The downside is that with normal HTML you will end up editing each new page individually unless you have a template, i assume you do, the great thing with CSS is you can attach different style sheet`s to different pages, the formatting is then done for you.

I have only ever used an older version of NetObjects and did not like it for several reasons, i believe the newer versions are a lot better and allow you to edit the CSS.

allright 16:08 03 Feb 07

Thanks Cycoze for all your help. We've had various problems with NetObjects too and are not overall very happy with it. We are currently looking at Blue Voda, we'll see . . . .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos