Fomatting c: drive

JOHNNYBGOOD 12:41 24 Oct 03

Having spent two weeks with much help from fellow forum users I have resigned to the fact that I cannot get rid of one or more viruses. I still cannot install MS Messenger - when it loads to install the computer shuts down. Plus I cannot install Norton AV.

As a last rsort my thought is to reformat the C drive but have no idea how to do it and what software I need to hand to reconfigure.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Epoc 12:48 24 Oct 03

What O/S are you currently using?

JOHNNYBGOOD 13:17 24 Oct 03

Epoc, it is Win98se. The computer is PII 333 (I think)

MAJ 13:49 24 Oct 03

1. Boot your PC with a Win98SE boot disk in the floppy drive and your Win 98SE CD in the CD-ROM drive.

2. Choose "Start with CD-ROM support".

3. At the A: prompt, type "format c:" (without the quote marks).

4. Click OK to the warnings about wiping all data.

5. Click Return when asked for a volume name.

6. Type "E:\setup" (without the quote marks) to install Windows from the CD.

Note "E:\setup" is correct if your CD-ROM drive is drive D:

MAJ 13:53 24 Oct 03

You will of course need all your driver disks for the re-install, also any software disks for the software you want to re-install, MS Office etc. Back up all your important files, emails etc. first because these will be wipe along with everything else when you format the C: drive, JOHNNYBGOOD.

JOHNNYBGOOD 15:16 24 Oct 03

Maj will I need to consider bios/cmos settings or will this be taken care automatically?. If I recall you create the win98se boot disc?

Anyhow many thanks for your help

GuyR 16:37 24 Oct 03

JBGOOD,
use win98 to create a boot floppy, as Maj said back all data you can, inc favourites from internet explorer.
make sure you have all disks etc for Hardware installed as when reformat and boot with win98 CD monitor will be at lowest resolution to allow an image.

When you do boot from floppy, go to instructions as per Maj (note do not have to have CD in at this stage) once disc formatted will prob ask you to reboot put cd in at this stage, then on re boot just follow instructions.

PS if really unsure search on this site using link on left and there are lots of postings with links to give step by step instruction.
TIP leave system as base as possible e.g. no printer, scanner etc devices just base unit, keyboard/monitor/mouse once OS installed add graphics driver then extra hardware then software.

JOHNNYBGOOD 17:13 24 Oct 03

GuyR - many thanks I will work on it tonight - fingers crossed.

ollie < one> 21:33 24 Oct 03

g

woodchip 21:39 24 Oct 03

Before you format start with Floppy startup disc at A:\> type FDISK/MBR to clear any virus lurking in the master boot record. Then to format just type FORMAT C:

woodchip 21:41 24 Oct 03

PS take care loading any software that you where running and other stuff you save, as you could put virus back

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…