Folders on CD RW disk show as "empty folder"

daisy2bell 22:14 08 Oct 03

I've had to send my computer off for repair. Having saved all my documents etc to a CD RW disk, when trying to read them on my other computer they show up as "empty folder" with nothing in them.
On the broken computer they read OK.
Not all folders are "empty"
Broken computer is win98, this one is XP home edition.
I know that items were saved, but why don't they show up on the XP mashine?
Fred

hugh-265156 22:18 08 Oct 03

cdrw`s are a bit unreliable i find with my burner,most people will tell the same story.best to use good quality cdr discs i think will give you less problems.

kinger 22:18 08 Oct 03

Are you using the same software on each computer?

Some 'sessions' might not be able to be read if you used different softawre to record to disc.

For example my 'INCD' from Nero can't 'see' inside folders if I used Veritas to burn it.

Just a thought

Hearst555 22:23 08 Oct 03

The files could be hidden in your OS. Try to open the CD-RW disc again. Then, go to 'Tools', 'Folder Options' and then 'View'. Then look for the hidden files and folders tab and check 'show hidden files and folders'.

daisy2bell 23:04 08 Oct 03

Thanks for the response,

I've tried the hidden folder tip, no luck. I am using different software for the 2 drives.(Different makes of drives)
I've done an experiment, tried to save a document in the so called empty folder, no luck. Then created a new folder and saved it and it's OK.
Wierd.
Any other ideas please

stlucia 08:44 09 Oct 03

When I've finished burning a CD using DirectCD I'm given three options for finalising it. I can't remember exactly what they are, but I do know that only one of them results in a CD that can be read by ALMOST any other machine, and one of them results in a CD that can only be read by the machine that recorded it.

So, apart from the quality of CD blanks, as mentioned above, it also depends on how your software is finalising the CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…