Folder/File Encryption Win2K/XP & Alternative?

JerryJay 10:42 14 Mar 04

I would lie to get some information about how Folder/File Encryption work in 2K/XP (NTFS).

According to MS help, it seems very good, once set folder with encryption, the encryption work in background and only user who encrypted the folder can access it. But, how safe is it because there are tools which can reset administrator password. More importantly, if folders on an external HD are encrypted. How to access them on another PC?

If encryption on 2K/XP is not good enough, what are alternatives? I like the background work feature. Winzip 9 can encrypt zipped files, but it is not convenient to use if I have to unzip folder every time I need to use it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:51 14 Mar 04

Any folder encryption is very easy to bypass if you really want to. click here is the best of a bad bunch and will be enough to encrypt most folders.

G

JerryJay 10:53 14 Mar 04

GANDALF, thanks for quick reply.

JerryJay 10:59 14 Mar 04

GANDALF, any commericial ones? I do not really want "strong" cryption, just want to find one easy to use and better then one with 2K/XP.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:03 14 Mar 04

There was a thread from one of the members that had written a file encryption programme but I cannot find it. I'm sure someone will have a linky to it......You could also have a look here.....click here

G

Paranoid Android 11:15 14 Mar 04

Be aware that xp encrypted files can lose their encryption if you copy then to a FAT32 volume or email them.

Marvin

JerryJay 11:34 16 Mar 04

Any other info?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…