folder at start up

steven_frost 21:01 09 Dec 03

can anyone tell me how i stop a folder from starting up evertime i log on.
i'm running windows xp pro and evertime i log on i get a folder evertime this also is happening on the other profiles

Diodorus Siculus 21:10 09 Dec 03

Go to start, run and type

msconfig

then under the startup tab, see what is ticked that relates to that folder - more than likely there is something there telling Win to open the folder.

If not, check your startup folder in program files from the start menu.

steven_frost 08:42 10 Dec 03

been their tryed that too

alcudia 08:52 10 Dec 03

Does the folder have a name

steven_frost 08:55 10 Dec 03

its a norton set up folder

alcudia 12:20 10 Dec 03

Sorry, been a bit busy. Not sure what you mean. Is it a folder containing the Norton setup files, which should be on the CD. Is it the actual setup screen for a Norton program awaiting instructions from you, or is it the screen that appears post setup and restart, awaiting commencement of the post setup tasks.

What Norton program is it?

temp003 14:02 10 Dec 03

Can you give the full path and name of the folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\...)? Also tell us what Symantec products and versions you have installed.

Reason is I have come across one case where a "rogue" folder is written to the hard disk during the installation, which shouldn't be there. If you tell us what products you have, someone may be able to tell you whether the folder needs to be there.

The opening of a folder at startup is usually caused by a wrong registry entry in the startup sections.

A valid entry should refer to the path to an .exe file (such as c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\ccApp.exe). If the path in the entry does not contain an .exe file, or the .exe file does not exist, by default Windows will open the relevant folder in Explorer.

Look in msconfig startup again and check under the "command" column the paths to the Norton startup items. You may need to expand the column to see the full path.

If you see an entry which contains no .exe file, untick it.

If there are no such entries, then check whether the .exe file referred to in msconfig exists at all in the folder which opens at bootup. If not, that's the entry to untick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…