Folder option missing unders tools dropdown

tankyboy 15:18 18 Mar 05

I have just recovered from the w32.serflog.c virus and I have lost the folder options button normally shown under tools in explorer. I have also lost the folders icon in control panel. does anybody know how to restore this function?

For information the virus also knocks out system restore tab this can be reinstated by following this for XP

Start>run
Start the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)
Navigate to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/System Restore
Set Turn off System Restore and Turn off Configuration to Disable
Right click on My Computer and Select Manage
Navigate to Services and Applications/Services
Navigate to System Restore Service and double click
On the General tab set [Startup Type] to Automatic using the drop down list
Click the Start button to start the service
Close the Computer Management console
Return to System Restore in Group Policy Editor and configure both to Not Configured
Close Group Policy Editor and reboot the system.

After the reboot is complete, right click My Computer, select Properties and the tab for System Restore will have been restored.

BurrWalnut 15:30 18 Mar 05

Have a look at these two registry keys :-
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

If necessary Create or Modify a new REG_DWORD (DWORD Value), name it NoFolderOptions and give it a value of 0 (zero).

Make a restore point before changing the registry just in case it doesn't work or you have finger problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…