The folder with no name!!

interzone55 21:42 22 Aug 03

I have a slight problem, one of my colleagues has reloaded a system (V. old Win98se, K6-2 500 cpu) and somehow ended up with a folder in the MY Computer window with no name. It should be a My Webs folder.

We have no idea what's in the folder because we can't open it, we also can't delete it or move it.

We tried to delete it from DOS but neither of us could remember how to find the special My Computer folder in DOS.

Anyone any idea how to get rid of this folder, because we can't ship it back to the customer with this strange folder that can't be opened or deleted.

TIA

Alan

Gaz 25 21:48 22 Aug 03
  LAMINA 21:56 22 Aug 03

Locate the file with explorer,make a note of the path. boot from a dos floppy,find it using the path you noted.. try typing in the word del, then hold down the alt key and type the numbers 2,5,5, let go of the alt key and press enter,...hope this works!

interzone55 21:58 22 Aug 03

Woh!!
Quick reply.

Sorry, didn't understand a word of that Word document, but seeing as it applies to servers I'm not sure it's of much use.

Still, I'll email it to myself at work & give it a try on Monday.

I'm almost certain I read somewhere that removal of nameless folders involves hacking the registry.

Seeing as this PC has a fresh reload the registry is quite clean, and the worst thing that can happen is we'll end up reloading again I think that's where we shall have to go.

interzone55 22:00 22 Aug 03

I think you may have the answer there.
But what is the DOS path to My Computer in Win 98?

Alan

LAMINA 22:20 22 Aug 03

now that one i don't know ...sorry.
it's just that i remembered using the alt 255 method to create hidden folders when using win 3.11/ dos 6.22 and these had the same effect

interzone55 22:28 22 Aug 03

Oh Well.

I'll try the Alt+255 trick.
I think I'll install the powertoys first, there's a create a Dos prompt here thing in there if I remember rightly.

Logging off now...

Thanks Lamina & Gaz 25

DieSse 01:21 23 Aug 03

You can't find a My Computer Folder, because there isn't one - it's simply a holder for the structure of the computer-

It's a bit like saying which drawer of the filing cabinet will I find the filing cabinet in.

So Right Click on the blank folder, look in prProperties, and see if it tells you where on the disk the folder is located. If you have this information, you may be able to browse to it and delete it in Windows, or rename it or move it, as you wish.

My Webs is normally in the My Documents folder, not the My Computer folder (in XP anyway)

You can't delete a folder in DOS by typing DEL - this is only for files

The correct command is RD (Remove Directory) - which must be run from the folder above the one you want to delete

So if you have found the folder, but can't delete it in Windows, open a DOS window, navigate to the folder above it and type

RD ????????.???

and see if it goes then.

DieSse 02:36 23 Aug 03

This would delete all folders within the parent folder - not just the "blank" one - so don't do it if there are more folders there.

interzone55 11:51 23 Aug 03

I can't open the folder's properties as windows just gives an error whenever I click on it.

DieSse 12:54 23 Aug 03

Using Explorer - try looking all over you hard drive for such a folder - 'twill take some time, but otherwise I'm out of ideas right now, I'm afraid.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…