Folder Access denied

Daiol 18:39 PM 12 Oct 11
Answered

Hi.I'm using windows 7,I have a folder in my documents that contains a backup of my emails,Now I have made a new folder with a new backup.Now I want to delete the old folder when I try highlight folder shift key and delete key,I get a box on screen ''Folder Access Denied''Yellow triangle and 'You need permission from the administrator to make changes to this folder'. Any help here please even tried sure delete. Thanks,david.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:26 PM 12 Oct 11

Change the permissions for folders (and subdirectories) by right clicking on the parent folder, choose Properties, go to the Security tab, click Advanced, go to the Owner tab, click Edit, select the new owner and check the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects and press Apply.

Daiol 19:49 PM 12 Oct 11

Thanks for that,Followed you info.When I got to the owner tab Then click on edit Cant see a box to replace owner,What I got is Object name c:\user\windows7\Documents\email backup

Current owner administrator(windows7-pc administrators) Then below

Administrators (windows7-pcAdministrators windows7(windows7-pc\windows7)

Any help here please.How to I change the name of my pc to my name,As when it was built the pc guy didn't name it as david Can I do that if so can you tell me how to solve this please. Thankyou.david.

robin_x 22:13 PM 12 Oct 11
Answer

Enable Take Ownership

Or manually unlock it with a Cmd box:

Start/Search cmd. Right click cmd, Run as Administrator.

Type

cacls "c:\YourLockedFolder" /E /G username :F

Subsititute your path and folder name for c:YourLockedFolder

If your username has a space, put it in quotes too.

If you wish to lock the folder when you have finished

cacls "c:\YourLockedFolder" /E /R username

Daiol 14:40 PM 13 Oct 11

Thanks both for your input.The link that 'robinofloxley' gave made a little bit of sense to me,Anyway its all sorted now,Thanks to all once again.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…