floppy probs.

tron200 22:36 08 Jan 03
  tron200 22:36 08 Jan 03

just replaced a floppy drive but the a: drive icon is nowhere to be found. The drive lights up but wont read disks. Any ideas?

greenlamp 22:39 08 Jan 03

Are you sure you replaced the data cable the correct way round?

Giggle n' Bits 22:39 08 Jan 03

on M/board has got the RED line on edge of cable facing to pin one side also where ribbon cable plugs into rear of Floppy the Red line is nearer to the Power plug/molex.

If you have also removed the HDD or CDROM ribbons you may have mixed up the cables. The Floppy is usually with a slitt type ended cable at one end.

DieSse 22:48 08 Jan 03

If you removed the cable, this is how it should be connected.

The drive should be on the end connector (won't work on the center one, if there is one)

The end with the split and twist should be the one on the drive.

If the light comes on permanently, the connector at the drive end is the wrong way round. You can't go by the red stripe on floppy cables - floppies can have their connector blocks different ways round.

If all this fails, go into Device Manager, remove the floppy drive, reboot, and let Windows re-detect it.

1st RHA 22:56 08 Jan 03

this may be important

tron200 23:21 08 Jan 03

when the red stripe is next to the power, two floppy icons appear (i only have 1 drive) neither of them work. drive just reads continuously with no result. when red stripe is away from power no floppy icons appear at all. ( i'm working on a friends system , no idea why she took the drive out :1strha)

1st RHA 23:24 08 Jan 03

everyone say aaah!! then I flash updated the bios and it worked, perhaps you should ask her the question it coul be the mobo connector or ribbon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…