Floppy Problem - she says I need help!

DerekR 22:46 02 Sep 03

Help!! I had some files saved on a 3.5 floppy from a few years back, saved using Paintshop Pro on my old Win98 SE machine. The file is actually a scan of our unborn dustmite still in the womb, and for some strange reason, she wanted to see it - I dropped the floppy into the drive, and got the following-

"This disk was compressed using DriveSpace 3, which requires Windows 98.

To use this disk, you must first mount it. To mount it:

1. Run DriveSpace by choosing Run from the Windows 98 Start menu,
and then typing DRVSPACE.

2. In DriveSpace, click the drive that contains this disk,
click the Advanced menu, and then click Mount.
(If this file is located on a drive other than the physical drive
that contains the disk, then the compressed drive is already mounted).

To automatically mount all available compressed drives, click the
Advanced menu, click Settings, and then check the "Automatically mount
new compressed drives" box.

IMPORTANT: To mount and use this compressed disk, you must be running Windows 98."

It shows no files on the disk, just a file saying "read this" with the above message on it.

Any idea how I can access this file? (I now have XP)
(I don't have immediate access to a machine using 98)so any help will be greatly appreciated

Peverelli 16:30 03 Sep 03

See if anything here helps: click here

tbh72 16:50 03 Sep 03

As far as im aware, you will need a win98 machine running drivespace in order to retrieve the content of the disk. If you don't have access to such a machine then a local computer shop may be able to help you recover the data.

alcudia 17:02 03 Sep 03

tbh72 is right. I used to do this with floppies to get more onto them. More trouble than it was worth because two floppy drives would show in Explorer. If you can get access to a Win98 machine you can use Drivespace to decompress the disc and transfer the files to its hard drive. I don't think there is any other way. Unless of course, someone knows better.

DerekR 18:29 03 Sep 03

Thanks folks - time to go hunting a win98 machine then!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…