Floppy not recognised on Windows 98 se system

SEGT 23:22 08 Oct 03

Floppy Drive won't recognise disc.
My 'A' drive won't recognise when a disk is put into it. I have checked in the device manager and it says the floppy drive controller and generic floppy drive are functioning properly, but wqhen I try to read a disk I get a message saying load floppy. I bought a new floppy drive and tried it but the problem remains. Any ideas.

woodchip 23:31 08 Oct 03

Have you checked it bios that it is enable, also set as first boot device followed by Hard Drive then CD-ROM

woodchip 23:31 08 Oct 03

It could be a faulty cable

Bramblerose 23:45 08 Oct 03

It may not be seated properly. I have a floppy drive that is too far back or forward - can't quite remember which... anyway, when the pc case is on, the floppy drive doesnt work, when I take the front of the case off... it does.

DieSse 23:50 08 Oct 03

Does it work in DOS - can you boot from it and read data from it before you get to Windows?

Ironman556 00:31 09 Oct 03

In addition to Bramblerose's post, try pushing the floppy firmly into the drive and holding it, I had one that wouldn't read until I did exactly that, formatted it and it works fine now.

You could try flipping the cable at the floppy drive end (but not on mobo). I had a Sony drive that worked fine, but when I swapped it for a Mitsumi got floppy fail's. Flipped the cable and now it's fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…