Floppy, DVD and CD drive problem

Jackw 13:54 26 Jun 04

I have suddenly developed a problem with the storage devices on my Windows 2000 Prof PC (NOT the hardfile)
When I try to access the floppy, DVD or CD I get a panel saying 'Drive is not available. Incorrect Function'
All the drives are correctly listed in the BIOS and I can play music CDs without problem.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Graham ® 14:01 26 Jun 04

Have you got the latest sevice pack?

click here

Jackw 14:10 26 Jun 04

Thanks for your prompt response Graham. I have Service pack 3 plus all latest automatic updates which probably does not include all of service pack 4 but the problem only started yesterday.
Do you think svc pk 4 would help ?

wotbus@ 14:14 26 Jun 04

Try dowloading and running this, it may help. click here
Good luck.

Jackw 14:25 26 Jun 04

Thanks wotbus@
I downloaded and ran the wizard and got the following response:
'Wizard ran into problems while trying to start the Shell Hardware Detection Service'
It also told me it can't fix the problem - any more suggestions?

wotbus@ 15:21 26 Jun 04

Hmm - it obviously worked before, have you tried doing a system restore to a point where you know it worked correctly? or checking your restore points to see if there was a restore point created because you installed/uninstalled something. If thats no help try doing a complete system error check (My PC\right click drive\Properties\Tools\Check Now and tick both boxes then reboot and let it run - {sorry if you already know how to do this}. Not much more I can suggest so good luck.

wotbus@ 15:26 26 Jun 04

Just noticed you have W2000 so what I said may not apply - its really the in-depth scandisc you are looking for. Device manager may be able to help but not sure where to look for him on your system. Reading again it sounds like access has been disabled, probably unintentionally. Must be someone on the forum with Win2k can advise - just have to wait a bit.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:39 26 Jun 04

Do you get error codes 19 31 32 or 39?

Jackw 15:49 26 Jun 04

Hi Fruitbat
No error codes - just the message panel saying drive is not available. Incorrect Function

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:00 26 Jun 04

check device manager any yellow exclamation marks against floppy drive controller and secondary ide controller? unistall /reinstall these controllers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…