Floppy Drive runs when not in use.

Faser 16:51 04 Feb 04

Windows XP sp1, all latest Microsoft patches installed, Norton 2004 anti-virus and firewall.

The floppy drive is driving me nuts, it keeps runing for up to 30 seconds (hammering!), when not being used and I have no idea why.

Its only a couple of months ago that I reinstalled Windows due to hard drive upgrade and I dont have the time to do it again.

Gemma 16:56 04 Feb 04

It may well be your antivirus seeing if there is a disk in the floppy. See if you are set up to do automatic virus scans on all disk devices.

tafoody 17:07 04 Feb 04

try control panel\taskbar and start menu\start menu\customise\advanced then click on 'clear list'

or perhaps a program has reference to the floppy drive in its MRU (recently used) list,

Faser 20:05 04 Feb 04

Does not seem to be anti-virus disabled it to no effect, cleared list as well.

I think it is a program as I now see for a moment a "program not responding message" as Windows shuts down and the floppy drive goes mad. This only happens after the drive has been used, If I reboot without using it it seems okay.

Cannot trace the program everything looks normal in device manager and task manager any ideas?

Do you have 'Disk cleanup' running in the background when the computer is idal? if so try changing the default setting to say every 1/2 hour or so, it is a fact that when this device is running then it checks all drive's irrespective whether or not their are any disk's present in the system...

tafoody 20:26 04 Feb 04

you could try a program like MRU-blaster click here to clear most of your MRU lists.

Faser 21:33 04 Feb 04

Tried all above, no luck. Had a look at the system error messages and found the following,

The server {520CCA63-51A5-11D3-9144-00104 BA11C5E} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Does this mean anything to anyone?

Faser 10:09 06 Feb 04

I uninstalled Norton, floppy works normally. So I reinstalled it and it started again!

After much searching of the Norton web site I found an article on Norton checking bios boot discs. Although this was for another version I was able to find and disable this feature, problem solved.

Gemma you were right, thanks everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…