Floppy drive not working, do I need a new one?

madirishman 13:36 23 Mar 07

Using windowsME

Tried to make a set of AVG Rescue floppy disks but when put floppy disk in A-Drive I found the following:

the drive will, Quick Format saying label size 1.44MB (3.5") ok
but if you attempt to use label name you get the following message:

'You cannot do a quuick format because disk is not formatted; its capacity is wrong; or no disk in drive.'

Option given then is to Full Format, click on ok and get the following message:

'Selected capacity wrong or disk damaged try another disk.'

I've tried several disks all give the same messages.

Nothiing in Device Manager says anything is wrong. It says drive is working properly

I've taken leads off the drive and put them back on after blowing any dust away.

When trying to update original AVG Rescue disks I get the wrong capacity,disk faulty etc message.

Light on drive only comes on when you put disk in drive.

Any ideas please,

Many thanks,

Hugh

Technotiger 13:40 23 Mar 07

Hi, you appear to be trying all the right things - so yes, I think probably a new drive is in order. They are quite cheap anyway. Or, you could even get a usb floppy drive - that is what I have.

madirishman 13:50 23 Mar 07

Thankyou for your help Technotiger, I'll look round for a new one. I only have 1 USB port on this pc (its a tad old) so I'll get a new drive.

many thanks again

Hugh

Technotiger 13:59 23 Mar 07

If you got yourself a 4-Port USB mini hub you would have some to spare.

woodchip 14:01 23 Mar 07

Last timeI did a floppy it was theribbon cable that was faulty

€dstowe 14:09 23 Mar 07

If you're making rescue disks, it's likely that an external drive won't do the job when it comes to need them as USB normally (almost certainly in ME) requires Windows to be running to load the USB drivers.

As has been said, a replacement floppy will cost you £3 - £5.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…