Floppy Drive not working

Grayd 16:14 28 May 05

I bought a Carrera PC (don't laugh - I wasn't to know was I?) at Christmas which has been working okay - except that when my wife tried to use the floppy drive to load some reports the machine didn't seem to be able to recognise it any more. I have swapped it out into another PC and it worked fine there. But the Carrera didn't recognise the floppy drive out of that machine either. I noticed that the BIOS was not set to recognise the floppy drive and so I have changed it, but still no luck.

Don't know if it is related, but I installed Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD software recently which has set up a virtual drive that is identified as a SCSI device, although there's no SCSI interface on the Carrera. Could that be anything to do with the floppy drive problem?

Grateful for any help,

Gray D

DieSse 16:33 28 May 05

Unlikely to be the Pinnacle software, I would have thought.

Check the floppy cable carefully at each end, to see it's fully pushed onto the cpnnectors, and the correct way round.

Is the floppy now found by the BIOS, but not in Windows? Check in Device Manager whether it's shown, and without a warning symbol - and try running the "Add Hardware" routine in the Control panel.

DieSse 16:34 28 May 05

Also check the power cable to the floppy is actually on the drive!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:06 28 May 05

Have you enabled Floppy disk controller in the BIOS?

aswell as having floppy drive set to 1.44mb in BIOS

Grayd 11:04 29 May 05

Thanks, but I had already tried all the things suggested and, on top of that, had disabled and re-enabled the drive in Device Manager.

An "A" drive does appear since I changed the BIOS setting, when I use Windows Explorer for example, but when I put discs in I get the "Please insert disc in drive" message and nothing happens.

I am still suspicious about the virtual SCSI drive though. I'll try an uninstall on the software to see if that helps. I can always re-install if that turns out not to be the problem.

Gray D

Grayd 14:53 12 Jun 05

Just as an update - and a heads up - running an AVG anti-virus full scan showed the Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD software to be infested with the Startpage trojan. This was a straight-from-the-box version supplied with a DVD burner.

Grayd 14:53 12 Jun 05

Just as an update - and a heads up - running an AVG anti-virus full scan showed the Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD software to be infested with the Startpage trojan. This was a straight-from-the-box version supplied with a DVD burner.

Gray D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…