floppy drive not working

trowel 16:05 29 Feb 04

On my pc the floppy is not working. I have changed the floppy drive and the cable but it still does not work. The pc recognises it in windows as drive A. and all the bios settings are correct, but every time i click on it windows says please insert a disk in to drive A, even though a floppy is in drive A the floppy works cos i tried it in my other pc. Can any body shed some light on this ? any help much appreciated the board is an epox 8kta 3+ everything else works fine.

Stuartli 17:26 29 Feb 04

In the vast majority of cases involving a floppy drive a damaged, faulty or incorrectly inserted cable is the culprit.

Have you checked again that the connections are correct with your new cable?

Also try uninstalling it and letting Windows add new hardware and its standard driver.

trowel 17:30 29 Feb 04

i will try the cable again, thanks for your help and will post back!

Sir Radfordin 18:05 29 Feb 04

Is the computer that it doesn't work in running XP as the OS by any chance? If so then I'll put my bottom $ on that being the cause. Can't work out what causes it but XP hates floppy disks and hates them even more if they have been used in another computer.

The best way to test the drive is to put a disc in and see if your computer tells you can boot from it (or if you are told that the OS can't be found and replace the disk before trying again). That will show if the drive is working or not.

deggsymann 19:32 29 Feb 04

just out of interest, why are you using a floppy?

Surely you are not using it to store information.

Apple Macs stopped having floppy drives years ago as it is just as easy to boot from a cd nowadays - but that is another story

Stuartli 08:58 01 Mar 04

I've been using Windows XP Pro for about four or five months, which has followed 95, 98 and 98SE.

Out of sheer curiosity - as I haven't had need to use a floppy for some time - I've just stuck an old backup floppy of My Documents (from Windows 98 days) into the drive.

Worked perfectly........

Sir Radfordin 10:35 01 Mar 04

It does seem to be the case that sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt! I haven't had (or have!) the time to work out what the conditions for it happening are but have seen the problem on several computers that are in themselves not connected in any way. This has however only been on XP Home systems not that that should affect things!

If you have access to a Win98 machine try saving a file from the XP one to that same disc you tried earlier and then put it in the Win98 machine open up the file, close it down and then go back to the XP one and see what happens.

Stuartli 12:02 01 Mar 04

The earliest I can do that is Friday when I do weekly sales entries for my best mate....

Edstow 12:54 01 Mar 04

Remember the floppy cable has a right and a wrong end as well as a right and wrong position.

The plug near the twist in the cable must go to the drive and the other to the motherboard. The red tracer wire goes to pin #1 at both ends.

woodchip 13:16 01 Mar 04

Try removeing the Floppy drive from Device Manager then restart computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…