Floppy drive not operating

Old Salt 22:51 21 Nov 04

can any one give me some advice on my floppy drive.my original drive suddenly stopped working,so I bought a new one and installed it,but this dont work either,all I get is cannot read the selected drive,or drive inaccessable.I have even re-formatted and reinstalled windows and all my programs,but still I cant get the drive to read,it sounds like its working but nothing.any ideas its baffled me

Night Ryder 22:57 21 Nov 04

When you switch on your PC does the floppy drive light come on and stay on? If so I'll tell you what you need to do next.

VoG II 23:00 21 Nov 04

... is rotate the connecting cable by 180 degrees.

Old Salt 23:00 21 Nov 04

when it first bootsup the light comes on but doesnt stay on

Old Salt 23:04 21 Nov 04

I built this machine myself two years ago and up until now its been fine,no cables are out of place,if I place a floppy disc in the drive that has a program on it after waiting a while all I get is disk is write protected or disk needs formatting,but it wont format anything either

Old Salt 23:11 21 Nov 04

is it possible I have got another knackered drive.I bought this one on e-bay,supposed to be new but it came in a plastic bag that was open,no box or any thing just placed in a jiffy bag,chap said it was new

stalion 23:13 21 Nov 04

Quite possible that the new one is also faulty

Old Salt 23:17 21 Nov 04

looks like the answer is over to Staples or pc world tomorrowand buy another one to see if that cures the problem,many thanks all

LastChip 23:25 21 Nov 04

Perhaps both are faulty, but the common factor is the data cable. Have you tried an alternative?

To reiterate those above; Red tracer on the cable to pin 1 on the motherboard and drive.

Old Salt 23:47 21 Nov 04

will try this tomorrow its getting a bit late now willpost my findings in the evening
regards all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…