Floppy drive not copying or formatting

Harry 13:05 08 Jun 03

My floppy drive can read but refuses to copy or format. It says something like "this disk is write protected". I am getting this message even though the write protect "hole" on the floppy disk is blocked by the lock/unlock slider. I have bought a new floppy drive but i am getting the same problem. I am using Windows XP with a decent spec computer. Cant find any settings to get rid of this problem.
Thanks for the help in advance.

-pops- 13:09 08 Jun 03

Check that the cables are the right way round in respect of the correct ends being in the motherboard and drive and that it is the correct orientation in the sockets. The end of the cable that fits in the drive has a small cut in one of the wires and the red marker wire corresponds to pin one on the drive.

Brian

Harry 02:26 15 Jun 03

The Floppy drive was apparently write protected in the bios (same page where you set boot devices).
Thanks for the reply anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…