floppy drive light on - cannot read from it

lahorie 17:57 30 Dec 04

Hi All

Last few days i have noticed the green light on my floppy is constantly on. When i put in a disk and go to read from it, it comes back with please insert disk.

I have changed the floppy cable, floppy drive which works fine on a different computer with no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Lahorie

win xp pro sp2, 1gb ram

Technotiger 18:00 30 Dec 04

Hi, have you made sure that the floppy drive Cable is the correct way round? If not, this can make the light stay on. Cheers.

lahorie 22:16 30 Dec 04

Hi Technotiger

Yes i thought about this too but the notches in the various slots only allow one way connections.

The floppy drive and cables work OK on a different pc but have stopped doing so in mine for some unknown reason.

Thanks

Lahorie

ACOLYTE 22:26 30 Dec 04

Either cable faulty or connected wrong at either mobo end or floppy end the drive is faulty or the motherboard slot is faulty.The red stripe should be facing the power connector,generally anyway.

Eargasm 22:28 30 Dec 04

Technotiger is right.

A constant green light is usually a cable the wrong way round. Its worth another check.

woodchip 22:30 30 Dec 04

I would suggest you try a new Floppy cable ribbon

lahorie 22:39 30 Dec 04

Hi Guys

Have tried a new floppy cable with same result.

I will try the cables again though just in case. Can anyone suggest a check to see if motherboard slot is faulty? And by the way, i have noticed on the motherboard end, the connector seems to be short of 1 pin, close to the red stripe part of the connector. Is this normal?

Thanks

Lahorie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…