floppy drive has changed from 3 1/2 to 5 1/2

sak41 14:58 25 Sep 03

my floppy drive has changed from 3 1/2 to 5 /12.

what do i do about this.

I have already posted a problem with my Pc not being able to boot. Well it does start in safe mode and thats as far as it gets. I have no software on the pc as when i inserted the recovery disc it formatted the hard drive.

MAJ 15:05 25 Sep 03

Do you mean 5¼", sak41? You'll have to enter the BIOS to select the proper Floppy type i.e 3½". To enter the BIOS hold down the delete key on boot up and in the "Standard CMOS setup Menu" look for the entry for Drive A and change it to 3½"

DieSse 15:31 25 Sep 03

It's quite possible you have a CMOS/BIOS battery problem. Settings do not usually change themselves, and a dead battery is a common reason for such changes.

sak41 10:10 29 Sep 03

thanks for that is that why i can not restore my pc from the recovery cd? is this why i can not get my computer to re boot.

sak41 12:38 29 Sep 03

how do i change CMOS/Bios battery, and is that the cause of my pc not booting and only starting up in safe mode.

MAJ 12:47 29 Sep 03

The dead battery will reset your BIOS settings to their defaults, sak41, so if your BIOS default for the first boot device is the Floppy drive, then yes, that would be the reason that you can't boot from your restore CD.

To change the battery, open the case and look on the motherboard for a 10pence piece sized round silver battery, much like a large watch battery. Remove that and take it to your local computer shop and get one exactly the same, replace it on the motherboard. Then you can go into the BIOS and reset your first boot device to be your CD-ROM drive, then you can boot from your Restore CD. Remember to take the necessary anti-static precautions when you're working inside the case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…