Floppy drive driver problem

Graham 09:49 28 Apr 03

Floppy drive has become not accessable. Tried uninstall and reinstall. Get message "windows cannot install the device driver for this hardware. Driver may be corrupted or missing. (code 39)". Tried getting it to look for driver on XP upgrade disk but it says that the existing driver is compatable. Tried booting up from A drive and it works OK and allows access vis DOS, so drive OK. Suspect driver corrupted. Trouble is it keeps reloading corrupted driver. Any suggestions?

cream. 10:13 28 Apr 03

Hi. This is a stab in the dark.

Start \ accessories \ system information \ hardware resources \ IRQ's.

Is it listed to it's own IRQ?

Graham 21:24 29 Apr 03

Yep it it does have IRQ 6 allocated to it and also I had tried uninstalling and rebooting. It finds the drive as new hardware and then looks for and finds a driver but comes up with bubble message " a problem occurred during re-install. Your hardware may not work properly" I suspect corrupt driver but may have to find driver then delete so it cant find to re-install then give it Win 98 or XP upgrade disk to find the driver. The thing is that the drive itself works in DOS so it is a windows problem. Suspect may have occurred after downloading patch.

woodchip 21:40 29 Apr 03

When you say that you removed floppy so it would find it again when you restarted comp did you remove Floppy controller also? If not try it see if it works

sunnysingh 21:46 29 Apr 03

press F5 in safe mode
go to dev manager
floppy drive
remove generic floppy driver
restart noramlly
in normal mode it does not always flush the driver.

Graham 11:09 01 May 03

Tried everything last night but still no joy. However it is not a serious problem as I only use the drive for update patches for a program. I copied the file to C drive using DOS then restarted Windows and ran the update. I don't have to use the floppy day to day so I can live with it. I will click on resolved not to waste anyone's time. Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac