Floppy drive constantly being accessed?

Mysticnas 11:25 31 Dec 04

Hi all...

My sister uses my pc sometimes and saves her work (mainly MS Word docs) on to floppy.

The problem is that after the floppy has been used once the computer keeps trying to access it making that annoying sound if the floppy drive is empty!

Apps like outlook freeze as well, i assume this is because of it's association with MS Word?

I'm not really sure why it's happening, but it's so annoying. I have to resort to restarting the pc so it'll stop, or keeping the disk in there so there's none of the horrid noise.

Please help!

ACOLYTE 11:31 31 Dec 04

Open the floppy then close it,When you close the floppy make sure you click file close,not the X,and that should stop it reading the floppy.

Gongoozler 11:37 31 Dec 04

Try disabling the Office Startup Assistant (OSA) in msconfig - Startup. This useless piece of MS Office is intended to speed up Office finding and tracking files, but all it really does is to slow down the computer. It could well be repeatedly trying to track non-existant files on the floppy drive.

Mysticnas 11:38 31 Dec 04

it worked!

thanks U2! ;o)

Diemmess 11:40 31 Dec 04

This nuisance seems to vary in severity but sometimes can be caused and cured by :-

When "Sis" has finished copying to the floppy, ask her to remove the floppy and to open another word document on the PC's HD.
Then close that document and Word itself. Hopefully next time the computer is used it will have consigned the floppy access at least one place down in the opening order of things.

So a feeble suggestion now, is to open a Word Doc. from the HDD play with it and save it, and then close all the way down. Cross your fingers and boot again from cold.

Mysticnas 11:43 31 Dec 04

i already tried that... but it didn't work! sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…