Floppy drive appears as drive A and D

abm1 18:24 03 Mar 07

Anyone help please.
I am helping a friend resolve a problem with their computer which keeps freezing when trying to access the floppy drive. The computer is running windows 98SE.The floppy drive apppears twice, as the 'A' drive and also as 'D' drive. If drive 'D' is accessed I can read and write to the disc. If 'A' drive is accessed the computer freezes. I have tried to remove the drive in Device Manager but after the restart it's back as it was. Has anyone any ideas how to resolve this problem please.

bennyhillslovechild 19:07 03 Mar 07

Try this:

Open device manager, click the plus next to Floppy Drive, right-click on the drive and select properties, then the settings tab. Click the drop down arrow for start drive letter, and select the letter you want, and then the drop down arrow for end drive letter, ensuring it matches....click okay, and restart the computer when prompted.

If that doesn't work, check your BIOS/CMOS settings as it used the be that if you wanted to change a floppy drive to something other than A or B you had to have a BIOS that supported it.

One other option: - have you tried uninstalling the drive and reinstalling it, to see if windows allocates it a drive letter properly?

abm1 16:06 09 Mar 07

Thanks for the help, I removed the floppy in the bios and when the computer restarted the 'A' drive was still there but marked as a 51/4 (five and a quarter) inch floppy. I went back to the BIOS and set 'A' to a 51/4 floppy and restarted the computer and was able to access the 'A' drive. I then went back to the BIOS and reset 'A' drive to 31/2 floppy and restarted again. this time the 'A' drive was configured correctly as 31/2 floppy. Problem solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5