Floppy drive always wants to format but cannot

THOMAS 19:05 18 Jun 04

Hi
Win xp pro xp2600 512 ram.Every time i try to use the floppy drive windows tells me the disk needs to be formatted but when i try to format it says wimdows cannot format this disk i have tried numerous disks with no luck disks work in my laptop which has win 98 and on my xp pc at work.No conflicts in device manager.
Thomas

Dorsai 19:20 18 Jun 04

It sorta sounds like your floppy drive is the problem..

As they are sooooo cheap, even from places like PC World, I would just go and buy a new one..If i remember from last time i looked, change out of £10...

do you have a mate who can lend you a floppy drive from his/her PC..put it in yours..

Can't you just put what you want on a cd..most pc's these day's seem to have CD-RW anyway?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:23 18 Jun 04

Check FDD cables are fully home on Mobo and rear of Drive

THOMAS 19:29 18 Jun 04

Have checked cables and swapped with good floppy but still the same the problem is with xp i think

Dorsai 19:40 18 Jun 04

Well, you are one step ahead of me there..done the different floppy/different cable thing. Pity it's so hard to do the different operating system job too.

Have you tried using a bootable floppy, that you know works (coz it boots ok on another PC), to see if your PC can read from the floppy if XP has not had a chance to load?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac