Floppy Doesn't like Xp.

jarjar65uk 15:14 20 Jul 05

I've got a problem with several floppy drives in my work. Sometimes they read okay sometimes they dont. Xp has recently been installed and has been updated to the hilt but still we are having problems. Sometimes parts of files dissapear and others come up as corrupted. Also the drive reads the floppy a few seconds after writing so if we forget when we take the floppy out we get a warning saying xp can't read drive A. My comp at home has no probs just the works has me scratching my head.

CliffP 15:25 20 Jul 05

you get exactly the same symptoms if you use a brand new floppy disk?

DieSse 15:34 20 Jul 05

There can be problems with floppies formatted under earlier Windows versions, particularly on Dell systems

Try and get all the data transferred then reformat the disks under XP

See here click here

uisquebeathus 20:20 20 Jul 05

there are differant formats in xp from older win98 or win95, the xp floppy format does not always work in win98 pcs.

woodchip 20:30 20 Jul 05

Yes as above I get problems between a Floppy on 98 and XP

jarjar65uk 13:42 02 Aug 05

THanks for the suggestions. I have tried reformating in XP but I am still having trouble removing the disks after writing to them. The light can sometimes stay on for as much as a few minutes. Incidentally the machines are IBM netvisas with intel celeron chips.

Southernboy 14:22 02 Aug 05

error messages? My A drive works OK but after removing the disc, it complains that there is "no disk in drive A". I never had this with W98SE, but it happens every time with XP SP2. Even with brand new floppy discs.

I wondered whether SP2 was the problem.

alexgray104 16:39 02 Aug 05

Same problem when upgraded to XP, transfered files using a different pc then formatted some floppies under XP and then put the files on them.

jarjar65uk 09:19 03 Aug 05

My home computer also has XP service pack 2 but it has no problem with floppies. The only differences are it is not networked and uses NTFS. I wonder if this is a clue to the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…