Floppy Diskette seek Failure on start up

bobbybluenose 17:24 PM 01 Jan 13

Happy new Year all, I cleaned the inside of machine in doing so I disturbed a cable,now when I start my pc I get the message Floppy Diskette seek Failure ,then I get the option to either press f1 to continue or f2 to run set up utility,can someone tell me if I can reconfigure the diskette and how to please,and also is f1 safe mode ?.o/s xp pro.

bobbybluenose 17:36 PM 01 Jan 13

yes floppy on pc,the pc is also a Dell should I try to remove it in the Bios.

Taff™ 17:44 PM 01 Jan 13

This must be an old computer! ;0)

As stated, go into the BIOS and disable the floppy drive. If you really still use floppy disks I suggest you back them up immediately. The old floppy drive probably needs physically removing from the computer and given a good clean out - maybe then it might work.

Otherwise I suggest you buy a new floppy drive for about £5 and back everything up to a USB memory stick.

bobbybluenose 17:50 PM 01 Jan 13

Thank you both, ill remove it never used it,how do i tick this post ?. once again Thank you bbn.

Taff™ 17:54 PM 01 Jan 13

Jock1e - you may be right! I've got two serviceable floppy drives that have been in my cellar for 2 years or more. (No demand - should have sent them down the skip but as in this case may come in use!) I used to buy 10 packs of floppy disks for peanuts and now you can't buy them for love nor money.

1.14 MB were they?

SillBill 18:00 PM 01 Jan 13

@ bobbybluenose

Took me forever to work out that if you tick one of the answers it "resolves" the thread!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Adobe unveils Sketch-rival Project Comet for UX design

How to fix iOS 9 problem iPhone stuck screen, unresponsive, no swipe, frozen, can't turn off