Floppy Disk Query

BLUELEN 20:18 24 Jan 05

When trying to open a floppy disk with only some Word files on it a message appears saying that the disk is not properly formatted. As the disk had been working in the proper manner only hours before am I to presume that this unstable back-up device is now U/S? It won't work in a couple of other floppy drives either. Are there any magic cures or is the disc now corrupt? Thanks.

2neat 20:33 24 Jan 05

Get yourself a memory stick and throw out your floppy drive!

Technotiger 20:34 24 Jan 05

Hi, you could try this, though I dunno if it is quite what you need. Worth a try I guess.

click here

BLUELEN 20:38 24 Jan 05

Got one thanks! this query relates to my daughter at uni + yes I will buy and send her one. In the meantime can I advise her on any way she can open the disc or is it U/S ? Thanks

2neat 20:51 24 Jan 05

.. think it is U/S if it has been tried in several drives. Can the pc that transfered the origional files open it?

BLUELEN 20:57 24 Jan 05

As far as I'm aware no the original drive won't open it either. Does appear that the disc is U/S. I presume that that once these type of messages appear then that's it!

Technotiger 20:59 24 Jan 05

Have you tried my link - might fix your prob - if not then disk is scrap!!

Totally-braindead 21:01 24 Jan 05

I saw something like this with a backup copy of Sage, when I tried to open the disk from My Computer or Windows Explorer it said the disk was not properly formatted, which it was. What I tried was opening the disk from the program used to create the disk in this case Sage and it worked. If theres only word documents on it then start word, open a document and see if it finds the files on the floppy. Worth a try maybe.

BLUELEN 21:07 24 Jan 05

Just had a look thanks seems thers a possibilty on the format section. Will get her to download the 30 day evaluation and she if it works. Thanks for your help

BLUELEN 21:10 24 Jan 05

Thanks I'll get her to try your suggestion to.

Wuggy 21:57 24 Jan 05

Just on the off chance that this may help - stick the floppy in the drive, right click the drive in My Computer and select Properties then Tools then run a Scandisk/Checkdisk on it. It has solved similar problems in the past.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…