floppy disk problems

steerstuffer 03:06 14 Feb 06

i have a floppy disk that once upon a time opened. Now it won't open, it gives me the option to format. I don't want to because there is stuff i want on it. I switch floppy drives to make sure it wasn't the drive. It's the floppy. I've tried some removal software but it hasn't worked. Any other suggestions? I have windows and i noticed th efloppy says MAC. But like I said it used to open and then decided not to, Thanks

jack 08:25 14 Feb 06

You have not mentioned the system you are using it on.
There can be a problem if the system in use has been changed.

If you can try to read the disk on another PC with a different system - XP/2000/98 - which is different to the one in use now.

Graham ® 09:22 14 Feb 06

Right click on the drive and select Properties.

stylehurst 10:27 14 Feb 06

If none of the above works download a program called FLOPSHOW (freeby)and try that, I have used it many times on problem floppies.

Diemmess 10:30 14 Feb 06

Another possibility (unpleasant)is that the disk itself has gone wrong.
They do this now and then, though it varies with the manufacturer.
A small surface defect and vital data becomes corrupt.
Still worth trying on another computer or possibly finding some software which might recover part of the disk.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:13 14 Feb 06

Drive Rescue click here
Floppy recovery click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:08 16 Feb 06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i tried drive rescur and it found the files i needed but when i go to save as an error #23 comes up and I can't find any info about the error number. When it does save a file a file conversion wondow comes up. no matter what i pick its not readable. Any suggestions? Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not use the Yellow envelope to reply post your reply here so everyone can read and offer help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure how to overcome that particulr problem with drive rescue. Have your tried Floppy recovery?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…