floppy disk probelm

timtom 22:37 18 Jan 03
  timtom 22:37 18 Jan 03

when trying to format 3 and a half floppy a message says windows cannot format disk either the selected capacity is not valid for this disk the disk i am using is 1.44 mb drive 2.0 mb unformated capacity.please can enyone help

DieSse 23:54 18 Jan 03

Is the correct floppy set and detected in the BIOS? - check at boot up time.

It is possible the diskette drive is faulty, and the 1.44 capacity detector is not working properly (the sensing is done by the hole in the disk opposite the hole with the write protect slider.)

woodchip 00:26 19 Jan 03

2.0 mb do not know of any that size, go to cmos and make shure you have the correct size disc enabled on the first page it should be 1.44

DieSse 00:27 19 Jan 03

woody - 2Mb is the unformatted capacity of a 1.44 formatted diskette.

woodchip 14:26 19 Jan 03

Ho never bought them like that not that matters to me, I use to buy HD’s formated. I thought he meant the drive was 2mb

timtom 16:35 19 Jan 03

DieSse on the box it says MF-2HD windows/dos formatted 1.44md drivers. The drivers on my PC implys the floppy disk is working . can you tell me how to access the BIOS if that is the problem
Thanks

DieSse 16:46 19 Jan 03

The drivers do not test the drive - they simply say it's detected asnd installed.

The diskettes you are using are the correct ones for a 1.44 drive (the modern standard)

Look on the screen at start-up - you should seea pane that details what drives are installed. A 3.5" 1.44 capacity drive is correct. To get into the BIOS depends on your system, but the normal way is to press the Del key when the message at the bottom ofthe screen says to.

Select the first itme in the screen that comes up - and it will tell you what the BIOS has detected.

The reason it could be the drive, is that there are two types of diskette - a 720Kb, and a 1.44Mb - they are distinguished by a hole in the corner of the diskette (on the other corner to the hole that has a slider for write protection). The drive has a sensor that shines through the hole (for a 1.44 diskette) - if the sensor fails, then or course it's the same as no hole - ie a 720K dikette -and it won't format unless you select a 720K diskette in the formatting window. If you do select 720K, and the format works - then this is pretty good proof of my suggestion, and you will need a new drive (very cheap and simple to change)

woodchip 20:14 19 Jan 03

The options for floppy in my cmos settings are

1.44m

2.88m

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…