floppy disk not formated message

jarani 17:01 16 Sep 06

i desperately need help with the above problem

no doubt my own fault - for some reason after inserting a floppy to read it i suddenly got the message that the disk is not formatted - do i want to format it or not , which would ofcourse deleat it , and i cannot access it or copy it - it has years of sesitive financial information on tax etc - jarani

Diodorus Siculus 17:04 16 Sep 06

Time to look to your backup I think; was this disk used in a non-XP machine and then put into an XP machine?

jarani 17:06 16 Sep 06

ps - the way i damaged the floppy , i think , was to start the computer with a usb external floppy drive already holding the disk in it - the files are there but cannot be accessed - jarani

Jak_1 17:06 16 Sep 06

What os are you using? What os was used to write to the floppy? Is it possible that the floppy was used on a mac?

Formatting will overwrite what may or not still be on the floppy. Also floppy's do deteriorate as to be unreadable over time.

Mark5001 17:06 16 Sep 06

click here

Try downloading this free floppy recovery tool.

VoG II 17:07 16 Sep 06

Try this to recover the files click here

jarani 17:11 16 Sep 06

Dio - i use the floppies to avoid the need for backups but even they need to be backed up - i stand corrected - we live and learn

the disk was originally formated in win95 then used in win98se and have since been used successfully in winsp - jarani

jarani 18:01 16 Sep 06

VoG - am i right in reading your suggestion that it only scans the hard drives ? - jarani

VoG II 18:13 16 Sep 06

No it will scan a floppy as well. I have used it to recover files from a floppy that had been formatted.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:11 16 Sep 06

Floppy recovery click here

jarani 20:17 16 Sep 06

thanks for the links - i have downloaded but somehow cannot find a way of using any of them - some use a free download that will scan but not repair, others like drive rescue i cannot activate to do the repair - i am not normally that thick, or am i ! - jarani

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…