Floppy Disk Drive - should I install it

Diodorus Siculus 20:49 07 Dec 05

Just going through a box of bits and pieces I found a floppy drive and wondered if I should bother to install it onto my new built machine. When building I didn't even think of it - I've not used one in months (years?).

Any point in having one these days? The only reasons I can think of is for either RAID setup (which I'm not interested in ) or for BIOS updates.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Dio

PaulB2005 20:54 07 Dec 05

I put one in mine. If you already have one why not?

Also handy for transfering small files and programs when a USB pen won't do.

woodchip 21:04 07 Dec 05

It's alway's a good idea to have one as you just may need it some time. Not bothered what others may say

VoG II 21:06 07 Dec 05

I still use mine occasionally - e.g. anti-virus rescue disk.

And you never know when you might need a boot disk!

phono 21:12 07 Dec 05

Definitely worth it, useful if a bootdisk is required, flashing a new BIOS etc.

alan227 22:25 07 Dec 05

You also need a floppy drive if you want to indtall the drivers for SATA drives.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:28 07 Dec 05

Fit it!

Someday you'll be glad you did.

:0)

PC Bilbo 22:39 07 Dec 05

I rarely use one and have owned a USB pen dive for a few years which I find beneficial not only for it's capacity but it is also more reliable than the old floppy disk.

Have burnt boot disks onto CD's and the only time I really needed a floppy was when setting up RAID (as you already mentioned) mainly on computers I built for others.

DieSse 22:43 07 Dec 05

I used mine just today - for a very small program to give to someone to help them out.

Didn't merit a CD - wasn't about to lend them my USB device - got lots of old floppy disks about. A floppy was the ideal transfer medium.

Mytob 22:45 07 Dec 05

I have to admit i havent used a floppy drive in over a year now and you could proboble do fine without one but myself i like to have one installed for all those berks who still insist on putting drivers on floppys and documents from friends. Its one of these items which you no you dont want but you have to have. Kinda like Windoz but not so expesive or annoying! Linux 4 eva!!! :)

phono 22:48 07 Dec 05

Would you trust, or could you reliably use, a bootable CD or USB pen drive to flash a BIOS?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…